Men's Tennis Falls at Pepperdine, 4-1
MALIBU, Calif. – The UCLA men's tennis team dropped a 4-1 non-conference decision to Pepperdine Friday afternoon at Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
In a match that saw four singles sets go to tiebreakers, the Waves (4-4) got the upper hand down the stretch. Eric Hadigian clinched the overall win for Pepperdine in three sets. Patrick Zahraj defeated the nation's 49th-ranked player to account for the Bruins' point. Alexander Hoogmartens of UCLA (4-4) had entered a tiebreaker, leading by one set, when the match went final.
Pietro Fellin and Andrew Rogers of the Waves struck first in doubles play, defeating Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj by a 6-3 margin. The loss represented the UCLA tandem's first of the dual-match season. The freshman combination of Karl Lee and Giacomo Revelli then suffered its first loss in two results, 6-2 to Corrado Summaria and Tim Zeitvogel, giving Pepperdine the day's first point.
Each singles first set was decided by two games or fewer, as Pepperdine secured four of six.
Summaria doubled the Waves' lead with a 7-5, 6-4 victory versus Lee on Court 5. The Bruins' Drew Baird gave the 13th-ranked Daniel De Jonge all he could handle on the top court before being edged out in a first-set tiebreaker and was ultimately outlasted in a 7-6(2), 6-4 decision.
Zahraj came out on the right end of his first-set tiebreaker and rode that momentum into a 6-2 win against No. 49 Fellin. Zahraj is now 5-0 in dual-match singles decisions and 10-2 overall. He has won six in a row.
With Hoogmartens nearing a victory of his own on Court 2, Hadigian sped through his third set with Stefan Leustian on Court 6 en route to a 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 win to seal it.
UCLA returns to action Tuesday, March 1, when it visits USC for a non-conference matchup. First serve from David X. Marks Tennis Stadium is set for 3 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Pepperdine
2/25/2022 at Malibu, CA
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#41 Pepperdine 4, #47 UCLA 1
1. #13 Daniel De Jonge (PEPP) def. Drew Baird (UCLA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. #111 Tim Zeitvogel (PEPP) vs. #59 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 5-7, 6-6, unfinished
3. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. #49 Pietro Fellin (PEPP) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
4. #24 Andrew Rogers (PEPP) vs. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, unfinished
5. Corrado Summaria (PEPP) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
6. Eric Hadigian (PEPP) def. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Pietro Fellin/Andrew Rogers (PEPP) def. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-3
2. Daniel De Jonge/Eric Hadigian (PEPP) vs. Drew Baird/A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 5-5, unfinished
3. Corrado Summaria/Tim Zeitvogel (PEPP) def. Karl Lee/Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-2
UCLA 4-4; National ranking #47
Pepperdine 4-4; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,3,6)