No. 2 UCLA Opens 2022 with Two Victories
HONOLULU -- No. 2 UCLA (2-0) posted victories over No. 7 Stanford (1-1) and Saint Mary's (0-2) on Friday at the Heineken Duke Kahanamoku Beach Classic at Queen's Beach to open the 2022 season. The Bruins defeated the Cardinal 4-1 in the first dual at 12:00 p.m. PT and then swept the Gaels, 5-0, in the second dual at 4:45 p.m. PT. With the two victories, UCLA improved to 14-0 all-time against Stanford and 6-0 against Saint Mary's.
In the first dual against the Cardinal, the Bruins shook off some early season jitters to post a 4-1 win. The pairings for UCLA on all five courts for the 2022 opener were completely different than the final match of the 2021 season.
A pair of freshmen in Natalie Myszkowski and Sophie Moore put the Bruins up 1-0 with a court four win over Stanford's Maddie Dailey and Camdyn Doucet in straight sets, 21-17, 21-13.
The Cardinal answered back when Kate Reilly and Charlie Ekstrom defeated the Bruins' junior Abby Van Winkle and sophomore Rileigh Powers, in two tights sets, 21-19, 25-23, to tie things up at 1-1 in the dual.
Redshirt sophomore Jaden Whitmarsh sophomore Devon Newberry then teamed up on court three to take down the Cardinal's Maya Harvey and Emmy Sharp in straight sets, 21-14, 21-18, to put the Bruins up 2-1.
Redshirt freshman Tessa Van Winkle and freshman Jessie Smith clinched the dual victory with an easy 21-9, 21-14 win over Emma Morris and Taylor Wilson on court five.
Sophomore Lexy Denaburg and senior Lea Monkhouse finished off the dual with a hard-fought win on court one, 21-17, 28-26, over Stanford's Xolani Hodel and Maddi Kriz.
The Bruins swept the Gaels in the second dual, 5-0.
Myszkowski and Moore got things started with an easy 21-14, 21-8 win on court four over the Saint Mary's tandem of Aeriel Sundt and Trinity Durfee.
UCLA quickly went up 2-0 after A. Van Winkle and Powers posted their first win of the year on court two, taking down Chandler Cowell and Selbie Christensen 21-19, 21-11.
Court five was the decider as T. Van Winkle and Jessie Smith defeated Laura Studebaker and Allie Cataldo 21-16, 21-12.
Whitmarsh and Newberry followed on court three with a straight-set win over the Gaels' Makenna Joyce and Karmin Brown 21-15, 21-10 to put the Bruins up 4-0.
Denaburg and Monkhouse completed the 5-0 sweep with a 21-14, 21-17 win over Jasmin Suarez and Jennifer Laird on court one.
The Bruins conclude round-robin play tomorrow (Feb. 26) with a dual against No. 10 Hawai'i at 10 a.m. PT.
No. 2 UCLA def. No. 7 Stanford, 4-1
Queen's Beach • Honolulu, Hawaii
Friday, Feb. 25, 2022 • 12:00 PM PT
Records: UCLA (1-0), Stanford (0-1)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Xolani Hodel/Maddi Kriz (STAN) 21-17, 28-26
2. Kate Reilly/Charlie Ekstrom (STAN) def. Abby Van Winkle/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) 21-19, 25-23
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Maya Harvey/Emmy Sharp (STAN) 21-14, 21-18
4. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Maddie Dailey/Camdyn Doucet (STAN) 21-17, 21-13
5. Tessa Van Winkle/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Emma Morris/Taylor Wilson (STAN) 21-9, 21-14
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 5*, 1
No. 2 UCLA def. Saint Mary's, 5-0
Queen's Beach • Honolulu, Hawaii
Friday, Feb. 25, 2022 • 4:45 PM PT
Records: UCLA (2-0), Saint Mary's (0-2)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Jasmin Suarez/Jennifer Laird (SMC) 21-14, 21-17
2. Abby Van Winkle/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Chandler Cowell/Selbie Christensen (SMC) 21-19, 21-11
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Makenna Joyce/Karmin Brown (SMC) 21-15, 21-10
4. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Aeriel Sundt/Trinity Durfee (SMC) 21-14, 21-8
5. Tessa Van Winkle/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Laura Studebaker/Allie Cataldo (SMC) 21-16, 21-12
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5*, 3, 1