Beach Season Starts With Two Wins Over Pilots
SEATTLE – Washington kicked off its 2022 beach volleyball campaign today with a pair of victories over Portland at the DaKine Volleyball Club in University Place, Wash. The Huskies (2-0) won by 5-0 and 4-1 counts today at the indoor facility, a good preparation for when the Dawgs hit a true beach in two weeks in San Luis Obispo. The matches were also the first for UW under new Head Coach Derek Olson.
The Huskies swept the Pilots in the opening meeting. The most decisive win came from Chloe Loreen and Natalie Robinson at the top spot, 21-10, 21-14, over Zilbert and Helm of Portland. Scarlett Dahl and Kyra Petersen teamed up at the second spot and prevailed in three, 21-18, 12-21, 15-10, over Strong/Lee.
Maeve Griffin got her first beach start at No. 3 with Ashley Shook as the two won, 23-21, 21-18. Indoor players Audra Wilmes and Olivia Mikkelsen teamed up for a 21-16, 21-19 win over UP's Bradley/Mumolo at the fourth spot. Emma Calle and Hannah Yerex were winners at No. 5, 21-17, 21-12, over Hawken/Stammberger.
In the second match, the Huskies went with the same lineup, while Portland mixed things up. Loreen and Robinson cruised again at No. 1, 21-7, 21-12, over Lee/Strong. Dahl and Petersen had a 21-18, 21-19 win at No. 2 over Zilbert/Helm. Portland got a point at three against Griffin and Shook.
Wilmes and Mikkelsen won 21-19, 21-11 at No. 4 once again and Calle and Yerex were victorious again at No. 5.
Washington will return to the practice courts for the next week before heading out on its first road trip, Mar. 11-12, to face LMU, Arizona State, San Jose State, and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Washington Beach Volleyball
February 26, 2022
University Place, Wash. | DaKine Volleyball Club
Washington – 5
Portland – 0
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Zilbert/Helm (UP) – 21-10, 21-14
2. Dahl/Petersen (UW) def. Strong/Lee (UP) – 21-18, 12-21, 15-10
3. Griffin/Shook (UW) def. Nolan/Helle (UP) – 23-21, 21-18
4. Wilmes/Mikkelsen (UW) def. Bradley/Mumolo (UP) – 21-16, 21-19
5. Calle/Yerex (UW) def. Hawken/Stammberger (UP) – 21-17, 21-12
Washington – 4
Portland – 1
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Lee/Strong (UP) – 21-7, 21-12
2. Dahl/Petersen (UW) def. Zilbert/Helm (UP) – 21-18, 21-19
3. Helle/Bradley (UP) def. Griffin/Shook (UW) – 21-17, 21-6
4. Wilmes/Mikkelsen (UW) def. Nolan/Mumolo (UP) – 21-19, 21-11
5. Calle/Yerex (UW) def. Stammberger/Jackson (UP) – 21-14, 21-8