Beavers Break 800m, 3000m, 4x400-Meter Relay Records on Final Day of the Pac-12 Invitational
SEATTLE, Wash. – Oregon State women's track and field capped competition at the Pac-12 Invitational in Seattle, Wash. on Saturday. In addition to Oregon State's DMR record that was shattered on Friday, the Beavers broke the 800 meters, 3000 meters, and 4x400-meter relay school records to highlight Saturday's action. OSU also tallied 11 top-10 finishes on the weekend.
"Today was a high energy day for our team," said head coach Louie Quintana. "We continued the momentum from yesterday and smashed more school records. Here's the thing, our school records are getting harder to break. They are legitimate marks, so I was proud of the group that pulled that off today: senior Mari Friedman in the 800 meters, redshirt junior Kaylee Mitchell in the 3000 meters, and then we capped it off with the 4x400-meter relay.
"We were solid in the field too," Quintana said. "Redshirt senior Keely McLaughlin getting to the final of the shot put was great. Senior Emma Nelson and freshman Lara Denbow had a solid day in the high jump. We're looking forward to nationals in two weeks."
Friedman stopped the clock at 2:07.56 to edge past her previous school record in the 800 meters. Friedman had clocked a time of 2:08.43 on Feb. 12, also in the Dempsey Indoor Center, breaking a longstanding record set by Kathy Weston in 1979.
In the 3000 meters, Mitchell clinched first, breaking nine minutes with a time of 8:58.39 for a new Oregon State record. This marks the second time this season that Mitchell has set the 3000-meters record, having previously broken the record on Jan. 29. Following close behind Mitchell was fellow redshirt junior Grace Fetherstonhaugh, who posted a time of 9:00.87 to finish third overall. Mitchell and Fetherstonhaugh both surpassed the previous record of 9:01.74, which Fetherstonhaugh had set on Feb. 12.
The Beavers' third record of the day came from the 4x400-meter relay team of sophomore Adael Scatena, Friedman, redshirt sophomore Paige Sefried, and freshman Jada Hurley. The quartet posted a time of 3:47.08. The previous record was 3:49.88, posted in 2019 by Lauren Miller, Tarisa Olinski, Saskia McNairy, and Friedman.
Also on the track, sophomore Amber Jackson clocked a personal-best of 4:50.38 in the mile to place third in her heat and 18th overall. Jackson, who was previously eighth in the Oregon State records, jumps to fifth in the all-time list. In the high jump, Nelson tied for fourth with a clearance of 1.70m (5' 7"). McLaughlin recorded a toss of 14.50m (47' 7") to place eighth in the shot put.
Friday's action saw the DMR team of Mitchell, Scatena, Friedman, and Fetherstonhaugh clock an Oregon State record of 10:57.35. The previous record, set by Juliana Mount, Kerissa D'Arpino, Gwyneth McMorris, and Morgan Anderson in 2017, was 11:24.59. The Beavers finished second overall in Seattle. Also on Friday, sophomore Delaney Bahn finished seventh in the pentathlon with personal-best of 3623 points. Bahn remains fifth in the Oregon State all-time list in the event.
The top-16 individual athletes in each event and top-12 relay teams on the NCAA indoor performance list will advance to the NCAA Indoor Championships, set for Mar. 11-12 in Birmingham, Ala. Currently on the NCAA Indoor Performance List, the Oregon State DMR quartet stands sixth and Mitchell is 12th in the 3000 meters.
The Beavers will open the outdoor season on Mar. 5 with the Willamette Opener in Salem, Ore.
Seattle, Wash. | Feb. 25-26
Oregon State Individual Results
7. Delaney Bahn – 3623 points *Indoor PR*
14. Anneke Moersdorf – 3003 points
10. Anneke Moersdorf – 8.86 *Indoor PR*
13. Delaney Bahn – 9.04 *Indoor PR*
T3. Delaney Bahn – 1.66m (5' 5.25") *Indoor PR*
T11. Anneke Moersdorf – 1.60m (5' 3")
12. Anneke Moersdorf – 10.60m (34' 9.5")
13. Delaney Bahn – 10.25m (33' 7.5")
T2. Anneke Moersdorf – 5.70m (18' 8.5")
5. Delaney Bahn – 5.63m (18' 5.75")
11. Delaney Bahn – 2:35:03 *Indoor PR*
T4. Emma Nelson – 1.70m (5' 7")
9. Lara Denbow – J1.70m (5' 7")
16. Savannah Reilly – 1.60m (5' 3")
8. Keely McLaughlin – 14.50m (47' 7")
14. Jordan Spradlin – 11.09m (36' 4.75")
5. Lara Denbow – 11.37m (37' 3.75") *Indoor PR*
6. Jaaden Steele – 10.97m (36')
14. Keely McLaughlin – 16.31m (53' 6.25")
16. Jade Whitfield – 16.20m (53' 1.75")
19. Caitlyn Marx – 14.73m (48' 4")
20. Markayla Billings – 13.95m (45' 9.25")
60m Hurdles | Preliminary Round
16. Adael Scatena – 8.98
60m | Preliminary Round
25. Jada Hurley – 7.76
30. Abby Buckley – 7.96
22. Jada Hurley – 26.11
23. Abby Buckley – 26.14
4. Mari Friedman – 2:07.56 *Indoor PR* *School Record*
18. Amber Jackson – 4:50.38 *Indoor PR*
1. Kaylee Mitchell – 8:58.39 *Indoor PR* *School Record*
3. Grace Fetherstonhaugh – 9:00.87 *Indoor PR*
20. Christina Geisler – 9:43.62
21. Audrey Lookner – 9:44.09
28. Zoe Simmons – 9:54.97 *Indoor PR*
9. Adael Scatena, Mari Friedman, Paige Sefried, Jada Hurley – 3:47.08 *School Record*
Distance Medley Relay
2. Kaylee Mitchell, Adael Scatena, Mari Friedman, Grace Fetherstonhaugh – 10:57.35 *School Record*