No. 2 UCLA Defeats No. 10 Hawai'i, 3-2
HONOLULU -- No. 2 UCLA (3-0) clinched a 3-2 win early over No. 10 Hawai'i (1-2) to conclude round-robin play and enter the bracket as the top seed on Saturday morning at the Heineken Duke Kahanamoku Beach Classic at Queen's Beach. The Bruins improved to 10-6 all-time against Hawai'i their seventh-straight win in the series.
A pair of freshmen in Natalie Myszkowski and Sophie Moore put the Bruins up 1-0 with a court four win over the BeachBows' Sarah Penner and Ilihia Huddleston 21-11, 21-7.
Junior Abby Van Winkle and sophomore Rileigh Powers put UCLA up 2-0 with a straight-set win on court two over UH's Kylin Loker and Riley Wagoner, 21-13, 21-14.
Redshirt sophomore Jaden Whitmarsh sophomore Devon Newberry clinched the dual on court three with a come-from-behind win (19-21, 21-15, 16-14) over Jaime Santer and Megan Widener.
Amriah Ali and Lea Kruse gave the BeachBows their first point of the dual with a 21-14, 14-21, 15-9 win on court five over Pani Napoleon and Marlie Monserez, who made their season debuts for the Bruins.
Brooke Van Sickle and Kaylee Glagau held off sophomore Lexy Denaburg and senior Lea Monkhouse in three sets (21-19, 15-21, 15-13) to provide the 3-2 final score.
The Bruins are the top seed heading into the semifinals where they will face fourth-seeded Saint Mary's at 2:30 p.m. PT today.
No. 2 UCLA def. No. 10 Hawai'i, 3-2
Queen's Beach • Honolulu, Hawaii
Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022 • 10:00 AM PT
Records: UCLA (3-0), Hawai'i (1-2)
1. Brooke Van Sickle/Kaylee Glagau (UH) def. Lexy Denaburg/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) 21-19, 15-21, 15-13
2. Abby Van Winkle/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Kylin Loker/Riley Wagoner (UH) 21-13, 21-14
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Jaime Santer/Megan Widener (UH) 19-21, 21-15, 16-14
4. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. SarahSarah Penner/Ilihia Huddleston (UH) 21-11, 21-7
5. Amirah Ali/Lea Kruse (UH) def. Pani Napoleon/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) 21-14, 14-21, 15-9
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3*, 5, 1