No. 5 USC Men’s Tennis Stalls Out In 4-2 Loss At Pepperdine
MALIBU, CALIF. — The No. 5 USC men's tennis team scored the doubles point but failed to make its signature singles rally, taking a 4-2 loss at Pepperdine today in Malibu. USC goes to 8-3 overall with the loss to the Waves.
The Trojans captured the doubles point for the first time in six matches, sparked by a solid 6-1 win from #10 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye on court one. The Waves snagged a victory on court three, but USC responded from court two with Ryder Jackson and Wojtek Marek keeping their perfect dual-match record together intact with a 6-4 win that marked their third win together on court two while plugging a 1-0 lead on the board for the Trojans.
As the teams segued into singles, Pepperdine claimed the first sets on five courts, with just #4 Trojan Stefan Dostanic winning his opening set against his Wave opponent. Pepperdine equalized things when Corrado Summaria topped USC's #40 Lodewijk Weststrate 6-1, 6-4 on court five, and then took the lead on a 6-4, 6-4 win from Eric Hadigan over USC freshman Ryan Colby on court six. The reigning Pac-12 Player of the Week, #26 Peter Makk, gave USC a lift with his fifth straight win on an 0-6, 6-2, 61 comeback effort to beat #49 Pietro Fellin on court three, evening it up at 2-2. Pepperdine fired back and pulled into position on #24 Andrew Rogers' 6-4, 7-6 (3) win over USC's #122 Bradley Frye at the No. 4 spot, and then the Waves would clinch it when USC freshman Wojtek Marek was dealt his first singles loss as a Trojan. Up against #111 Tim Zeitvogel on court two, Marek was edged out 6-3, 7-6 (3) as Pepperdine got the 4-2 win over the Trojans.
USC's next action brings the Trojans back to Marks Stadium for a crosstown rivalry clash against UCLA. The Trojans and Bruins will square off at 3 p.m. on Tuesday (March 1).
#41 Pepperdine 4, #5 USC 2
Feb. 26, 2022 | Malibu, Calif.
(1) #10 Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Fellin/Rogers (PEP) - 6-1
(2) Jackson/Marek (USC) def. De Jonge/Hadigan (PEP) - 6-4
(3) Summaria/Zeitvogel (PEP) def. Barretto/Makk (USC) - 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) vs. #13 Daniel De Jonge (PEP) - 6-2, 0-6, 6-6 susp.
(2) #111 Tim Zeitvogel (PEP) def. Wojtek Marek (USC) - 6-2, 7-6 (3)*
(3) #26 Peter Makk (USC) def. #49 Pietro Fellin (PEP) - 0-6, 6-2, 6-1
(4) #24 Andrew Rogers (PEP) def. #122 Bradley Frye (USC) - 6-4, 7-6 (3)
(5) Corrado Summaria (PEP) def. #40 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Eric Hadigan (PEP) def. Ryan Colby (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 6, 3, 4, 2*