No. 6 Cal Edged By No. 5 Texas 4-3
BERKELEY – The California women's tennis team played another close match with Texas on Sunday, but the No. 6 Golden Bears lost to the fifth-ranked Longhorns, 4-3, at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Cal's record stands at 6-5. Texas – which also beat the Bears 4-2 on Feb. 13 at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship – improved to 8-3.
"They're a very good team, and that's what happens when two top teams play," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "There were a couple of places where we could've been a little better. We had some chance in the doubles that we didn't take. We played better this time than when we played them last time. We'll just keep working, and hopefully we'll get to see them again in the postseason."
The Bears had won the doubles point in seven of their last eight matches, including in the previous match with Texas. But on Sunday the Longhorns won on court three and then won on court one – with Kylie Collins and Peyton Stearns beating Cal's Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov, 6-3 – to clinch the point.
In singles, Cal senior Julia Rosenqvist knotted the overall match at 1-1 when she defeated Bella Zamarripa, 7-5, 6-1, on court five.
But the fourth-ranked Stearns gave Texas back the lead at 2-1 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Giavara on court one.
Wiersholm, ranked 94th, followed with a 6-2, 7-6(3) victory over Charlotte Chavatipon on court four to tie things at 2-2. The result also kept the Cal freshman undefeated in singles at 13-0.
In another tight result, Cal sophomore Hannah Viller Moeller fell to Vivian Ovrootsky, 7-6(3), 6-3, on court six. Sabina Zeynalova then clinched the Longhorns' win with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Ivanov on court three.
With the Bears down 4-2, Cal's 48th-ranked Jessica Alsola battled the 40th-ranked Collins in a three-setter on court two. After splitting the first two sets, the Cal freshman dominated the third set to prevail and pick up a quality win, 6-4, 2-6, 6-0.
Cal starts Pac-12 Conference play when it hosts No. 35 Oregon on Sunday, March 6, at 12 p.m. at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
No. 5 Texas (8-3) defeated No. 6 California (6-5), 4-3
Feb. 27, 2022, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Kylie Collins/Peyton Stearns (Texas) def. No. 59 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-3*
2. Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal) vs. Allura Zamarripa/Bella Zamarripa (Texas), 3-4 (Unfinished)
3. Charlotte Chavatipon/Sabina Zeynalova (Texas) def. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 6-4
Order of Finish – 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 4 Peyton Stearns (Texas) def. Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 48 Jessica Alsola (Cal) def No 40 Kylie Collins (Texas), 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
3. Sabina Zeynalova (Texas) def. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-3, 6-3^
4. No. 94 Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. Charlotte Chavatipon (Texas), 6-2, 7-6(3)
5. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Bella Zamarripa (Texas), 7-5, 6-1
6. Vivian Ovrootsky (Texas) def. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 7-6, 6-3
Order of Finish – 5, 1, 4, 6, 3^, 2
^Clinched the overall match