Softball Finishes 2-1 in the Texas Classic
AUSTIN, TX - No. 22 Sun Devil Softball tallied eight hits in their 7-4 victory against UTSA (3-8) on Sunday afternoon. Texas native Allison Royalty struck out six of the first seven batters she faced against the Roadrunners while freshman Cydney Sanders led the way with two doubles and two RBIs.
Senior Yannira Acuña and junior Alynah Torres joined Sanders with two RBIs against UTSA.
Royalty lasted four innings with seven strikeouts until Mac Morgan entered as relief, striking out one. Marissa Schuld entered to complete the game as the duo pitched a three-inning save to end the game.
Arizona State (9-4) started its Sunday doubleheader schedule with a morning bout against Texas State. The Sun Devils fell short against Texas State, 2-0, in the first game of the day but rebounded against UTSA to finish the Texas Invitational with 2 wins and one loss.
Senior Marissa Schuld got the start against Texas State, lasting four and a third innings with five strikeouts. On the day, Schuld threw eight strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1 - Texas State 2, Arizona State 0
- Schuld escaped the second inning after loading the bases to keep the game scoreless.
- The Sun Devils had the bases loaded with redshirt freshman Kristiana Watson at bat, but were unable to bring them in which kept the game scoreless after three innings.
- Texas State broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning with a single up the middle to bring in a run while the runner ended up second. The Bobcats hit another single to bring in a second runner to make it a 2-0 game.
- Lindsay Lopez came in to replace Schuld. In her first frame, Lopez struck out a batter and forced a fly out to left field to end the inning.
- Morgan replaced Lopez in the top of the seventh, striking out two of three to end the inning, Acuña singled down the left field line to put the tying run at the plate but the Bobcats would hold on to get the win.
Game 2 - Arizona State 7, UTSA 4
- Arizona State loaded the bases in the top of the first, but the base runners were left stranded.
- Yani Acuña broke the tie with a double to bring in two ASU base runners. Cydney Sanders then hit an RBI double to bring in Acuña and extend the Sun Devil lead to 3-0.
- UTSA struck back in the bottom of the fourth with a bases-clearing double to bring in two runners, followed by a single that scored another on a throwing error to tie the game, 3-3.
- The Sun Devils put runners on second and third in the top of the fifth, but they were left stranded, Morgan escaped the fifth inning with two strikeouts after loading the bases to keep the game tied.
- Sanders broke the tie again with an RBI double to left field to bring in catcher Jessica Puk, then junior Alynah Torres hit a bases-clearing double which scored two, extending ASU's lead back to three in the top of the 6th, 6-3.
- Junior Jazmine Hill extended the ASU lead to four with an RBI single to right field to bring in Halle Harger in the seventh.
- Schuld earned her first save of the season after relieving Morgan in the 6th inning.
The Sun Devils will pack their bags for a second weekend out of town as they head to Fullerton, Calif. for the Judi Garman Classic Friday, March 4 - Sunday, March 6.
Judi Garman Classic Schedule
Friday, March 4 - Arizona State vs. Kansas 10:30 AM MST
Cal Poly vs. Arizona State 4:00 PM MST
Saturday, March 5 - Loyola Marymount vs. Arizona State 6:30 PM MST
Sunday, March 6 - Arizona State vs. Texas A&M 10:00 AM MST
Arizona State vs. Seattle 12:15 PM MST
*Underlined teams are considered home*
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU Softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.