Baseball Outbound to UNLV for Tuesday Tilt
Feb 28, 2022
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (4-1-1 overall, 0-0 Pac-12) at UNLV (4-3 overall, 0-0 MWC)
Tuesday, March 1 // 3:05 p.m. MT
|Location||Las Vegas, Nev. (Earl E. Wilson Stadium)|
|Live Statistics||SIDEARM Stats|
|Game Notes||Utah Game Notes|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes|
|Season Outlook||New Look Utes Ready for 2022 Baseball Season|
The First Pitch: Things to Know
- Utah baseball is primed for its first midweek matchup of the 2022 season, heading South to UNLV for a March 1 tilt. First pitch will be at 3:05 p.m. MT from Earl E. Wilson Stadium.
- The Utes won the last meeting of these teams, a Feb. 26, 2019 contest that also took place in Las Vegas. A five-run first inning set the tone early that day as Utah went off for 13 hits in a 16-7 victory.
- Utah is 4-1-1 on the young season, with the squad's first loss coming on Sunday at San Diego State in the finale of the Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament. In a game shortened to seven innings due to the Utes' return travel schedule, the team carried a 3-2 lead into the seventh before the Aztecs plated two in the bottom half for the walk-off outcome.
- Through six games, it's the best start (4-1-1) to a season for Utah since at least 1981.
National Accolades for Sox
- Redshirt senior right-handed pitcher Matthew Sox was selected among Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's National Players of the Week on Monday.
- In addition, Sox was selected by the Golden Spikes Award as one of four nominees for the National Performance of the Week. Fans can vote for Sox on Twitter @USAGoldenSpikes through Tuesday morning.
- Sox was two outs away from a no-hitter in his start vs. Fresno State last Friday, Feb. 25, before a bloop single to center field broke up the bid. No other Pac-12 pitcher took a no-hitter into the ninth inning last weekend.
- Sox had six strikeouts and just two walks in his incredible start. He was charged with one run—the Fresno State player who logged the single in the ninth. At one point, he also retired 16 batters in a row.
- For his performance, D1Baseball.com named Sox the Pitcher of the Day for Feb. 25.
Recap in a Minute
- Utah is off to its best start in at least the last 40 seasons, sitting a 4-1-1 through two weekends of play. It includes a run in which the Utes were undefeated in the club's first five games of the 2022 campaign.
- Following Sox's near no-no in the Fresno State game on Feb. 25, the Utes impressive performances continued on the mound with 6.2 innings of shutout ball in fellow righty Randon Hostert's start. Kai Roberts also clubbed his second home run of the season, a two-run shot en route to a 4-0 shutout victory for the Utes.
- The long ball train carried into Sunday's weekend finale with the Aztecs. Carter Booth had a two-run homer of his own in the fifth inning, giving the Utes a 3-2 lead before SDSU rallied for the win in the seventh.
- Not to be overshadowed on the weekend was that defensively, the Utes were error-free in 25 total innings played.
Check the stats ?? then cast your vote ??
— Golden Spikes Award (@USAGoldenSpikes) February 28, 2022
— Utah Baseball (@utahbaseball) February 28, 2022