Bears Host No. 23 Hornets Tuesday
BERKELEY – California baseball caps its four-game homestand against No. 23 Sacramento State at 5 p.m. PT Tuesday at Evans Diamond. The midweek clash is the Golden Bears' first of four consecutive games against nationally-ranked foes, as they'll travel to Tallahassee, Florida to take on No. 10 Florida State this weekend.
Cal lost two of three games to UIC last weekend in its home-opening series and sits at 4-3 overall following a 3-0 start to the season. The Hornets (7-0) are off to the best start of their Division I era, having most recently swept then-No. 6 Long Beach State on the road this past weekend.
Fans attending games at Evans Diamond are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings in outdoor areas. Facial coverings are required at all times in indoor spaces (i.e., restrooms) for guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks will be available at entrances for fans upon request.
- Matchup: Cal (4-3) vs. No. 23 Sacramento State (7-0)
- Location: Evans Diamond | Berkeley, Calif.
- First Pitch: 5:05 p.m. PT
- Watch: Live Stream (Pac-12 Plus) | PxP: Ben Ross
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Probable Pitchers: RHP Sam Stoutenborough vs. LHP Max Pettey
- Cal is 44-14 overall vs. Sacramento State, including 1-1 under Mike Neu. The two teams most recently played a home-and-home in 2019; the Hornets won 6-0 in Sacramento on March 26 before the Bears won 12-4 on April 23 in Berkeley.
- Sam Stoutenborough is expected to start on the mound. He logged 4.2 innings vs. Gonzaga in his first start of the season on Feb. 21 and is Cal's most experienced pitcher, throwing 147.1 career innings.
- The Bears have already faced one nationally-ranked opponent this season, defeating No. 17 TCU on Feb. 19. Cal has 15 wins against nationally-ranked foes under head coach Mike Neu.
- Cal's freshmen continue to impress early this season, as Caleb Lomavita (.321, two home runs), Carson Crawford (.333, eight hits), Rodney Green Jr. (.375, one home run) and Ian May (7.0 innings, eight strikeouts, 1.29 ERA) have contributed in key roles. Lomavita exploded with a 3-for-4, four RBI effort in the front end of last Saturday's doubleheader vs. UIC.
- Golden Spikes Award watch list selection Dylan Beavers is hitting .321/.412/.679 with three home runs and seven RBI.