Men's Tennis Suffers 4-0 Loss at USC
LOS ANGELES – Bruins Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj were victorious against the nation's No. 10 doubles tandem, but the 47th-ranked UCLA men's tennis team dropped the overall non-conference decision to No. 5 USC by a 4-0 score Tuesday afternoon at David X. Marks Tennis Stadium.
The Bruins (4-5) were edged out for the day's first point and the Trojans (9-3) rode that momentum to take five singles first sets and, ultimately, three singles victories without a loss. Ryder Jackson clinched the win for USC.
Pereira and Zahraj bounced back from their first loss of the dual-match season in a big way, handing the 10th-ranked pair in the nation, Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye, a 6-1 loss on the top court.
With the first match decided, nip-and-tuck contests on Courts 2 and 3 were simultaneously tied at 4-4 and 5-5, respectively. Momentum shifted rapidly, though, as the Trojans collected breaks of serve on both courts. Paul Barretto and Peter Makk closed out Karl Lee and Giacomo Revelli on Court 3, 7-5, and Jackson and Wojtek Marek followed soon thereafter, 6-4 versus Drew Baird and Alexander Hoogmartens on Court 2.
Zahraj was forced to retire in his second set with No. 26 Makk on Court 3, giving USC a 2-0 advantage. In the day's marquee matchup, No. 4 Dostanic held off Baird for a 6-3, 6-4 result on the top court that put the Trojans one point away from their fourth.
The overall decision was made on Court 5, where Jackson was able to prevent Lee from forcing a third set. The 7-5, 6-4 result came with No. 59 Hoogmartens two games away from victory on Court 2. Revelli, meanwhile, forced a second-set tiebreaker with No. 122 Frye after trailing 4-6, 1-5 on Court 4. Stefan Leustian rounded out the group on Court 6, where he trailed Ryan Colby, 3-6, 6-2, 0-3.
UCLA will head south to take part in the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club in La Jolla, Calif. Play goes from March 4-6. They will re-enter the dual-match portion of their schedule Monday, March 7 at the 38th-ranked University of San Diego.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs USC
3/1/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(David X. Marks Tennis Stadium)
#5 USC 4, #47 UCLA 0
1. #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Drew Baird (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Wojtek Marek (USC) vs. #59 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 6-7 (1-7), 2-4, unfinished
3. #26 Peter Makk (USC) def. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-2, 1-0, retired
4. #122 Bradley Frye (USC) vs. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-4, 6-6 (2-1), unfinished
5. Ryder Jackson (USC) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ryan Colby (USC) vs. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-3, 2-6, 3-0, unfinished
1. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. #10 Stefan Dostanic/Bradley Frye (USC) 6-1
2. Ryder Jackson/Wojtek Marek (USC) def. Drew Baird/A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 6-4
3. Paul Barretto/Peter Makk (USC) def. Karl Lee/Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 7-5
UCLA 4-5; National ranking #47
USC 9-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,5)