No. 5 USC Men’s Tennis Shuts Down UCLA 4-0 At Marks Stadium
LOS ANGELES — The No. 5 USC men's tennis team was a force to reckon with in today's crosstown rivalry clash against UCLA, stealing a tight doubles point and then making a strong stand in singles to beat the visiting Bruins 4-0 at Marks Stadium. USC improves to 9-3 overall with the win.
The Bruins were able to snap up the first win of the day as Pereira/Zahraj toppled USC's #10 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye 6-1, prompting the Trojans to dig deep in doubles to bounce back. Paul Barretto and Peter Makk answered the call first with a 7-5 victory over Lee/Revelli on court two, and then Ryder Jackson and Wojtek Marek secured the early lead for the Trojans with their6=4 win over UCLA's Baird/Hoogmartens. That pinned a 1-0 lead on the board for the Trojans as teams transitioned to singles play.
There, USC went up 2-0 when UCLA's Patrick Zahraj retired from his match with #26 Peter Makk on court three. At the top spot, USC's #4 Stefan Dostanic toppled Drew Baird 6-3, 6-4 to make it a 3-0 lead, and three Trojans were looking to close in on the clincher. Sophomore Ryder Jackson hit the finish line first, coming through with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Karl Lee to tack up the 4-0 win for USC and suspend action on the remaining courts.
USC's next competition comes up next week with a March 9 meeting against Pennsylvania at 3 p.m. at Marks Stadium
#5 USC 4, #47 UCLA 0
March 1, 2022 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) Pereira/Zahraj (UCLA) def. #10 Dostanic/Frye (USC) - 6-1
(2) Jackson/Marek (USC) def. Baird/Hoogmartens (UCLA) - 6-4
(3) Barretto/Makk (USC) def. Lee/Revelli (UCLA) - 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Drew Baird (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Wojtek Marek (USC) vs. #59 Alexander Hoogmartens (UCLA) - 6-7 (1), 2-4 susp.
(3) #26 Peter Makk (USC) def. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) - 6-2, 1-0 ret.
(4) Bradley Frye (USC) vs. Giancomo Revelli (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-6 susp.
(5) Ryder Jackson (USC) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) - 7-5, 6-4*
(6) Ryan Colby (USC) vs. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) - 6-3, 2-6, 3-0 susp.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5*