Cal Travels To Davis For Doubleheader
BERKELEY – After a 3-1 start to the season, the Bears moved up in the AVCA Coaches Poll and are now ranked 10th in the country. The Bears will put their record to the test against local rivals, San Jose State and UC Davis on Saturday. Cal will begin play at the UC Davis Beach Volleyball courts at 11 am vs. the Spartans followed by a 1 pm tilt against the Aggies.
NO. 10 CAL TAKES ON LOCAL RIVALS
- Cal will travel to UC Davis for a doubleheader against San Jose State and UC Davis on Saturday.
- The Bears are 10-3 all-time vs. San Jose State, but haven't lost to the Spartans since 2017 as the Bears have won five straight in the series.
- Cal is 5-0 all-time vs. UC Davis and have won the matches by a combined 23-2 scoreline across the five matchups.
ENTERING 2022 RANKED 11TH
- Cal was picked 11th in the Preseason AVCA Preseason Poll, but the Bears moved up one spot to No. 10 after the first week of action.
- The top-12 ranking continues a streak of being ranked in the top 12 of every poll since April 23, 2018. The Bears have now spent 1402 consecutive days ranked in the top 12 of the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Bears have finished each of the past four seasons ranked in the top 12 of the final poll, including an 11th-place finish in the final poll of the 2021 season.
- The Bears were chosen eighth in the preseason Collegiate Beach Volleyball Preseason Committee Rankings.
- Cal will have a new look this year as Meagan Owusu returns to coach the team after spending the 2020 season on maternity leave and leaving the team for the 2021 season.
- Cal welcomes eight newcomers to the team for the 2022 season including four transfers: AVCA All-American Ana Costa (Stetson), Ashley Delgado (Tulane), Natalie Martin (LSU) and Lexi McKeown (Florida State).
- All four transfers were in the lineup for the opening weekend of action as Ana Costa went 2-1 at the top pair. McKeown was 3-1 while Martin and Delgado both went 2-2.
- Cal pairs that incoming experience with a talented group of freshmen: Ella Dreibholz, Alena Korobko, Ella Sears and Alex Young-Gomez. Dreibholz was the only freshman to crack the opening weekend lineup as she went 2-2 while playing at No. 4 and No. 5.
- Eight different players made their collegiate beach debut during the 2021 season: Francesca Gettings, Katie Smoot, Maddie Sundholm, Kate Bierly, Brooke Buchner, Ava Mann, Maya Gessner and Grace Paulson.
For complete coverage of Cal beach volleyball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalBeachVB), Instagram (@CalBeachVB) and Facebook (/CalBeachVolleyball/).