Road Challenge In Tallahassee
BERKELEY – California baseball travels east for its first true road games of the season against No. 10 Florida State in Tallahassee this weekend. The series gets underway at 4 p.m. PT Friday with the opening contest being televised on the ACC Network.
The Golden Bears (5-3) have already notched a pair of wins over nationally-ranked foes this season, including a 6-2 victory against No. 23 Sacramento State on Tuesday in Berkeley. Florida State (5-3) has lost two in a row since this past Sunday but has won both of its weekend series so far this season against James Madison and Samford.
- Matchup: Cal (5-3) at No. 10 Florida State (5-3)
- Location: Dick Howser Stadium | Tallahassee, Fla.
- First Pitch: Friday, 4 p.m. PT | Saturday, 1 p.m. PT | Sunday, 9 a.m. PT
- Watch: ACC Network (Friday) | Roxy Bernstein (PxP) & Mike Rooney (Analyst)
- Live Stats: Game 1 | Game 2 | Game 3
- Game 1 (Friday): RHP Josh White vs. LHP Parker Messick
- Game 2 (Saturday): RHP Steven Zobac vs. LHP Bryce Hubbart
- Game 3 (Sunday): RHP Joseph King vs. LHP Ross Dunn
- The Bears are 3-1 away from home this season, having swept the MLB4 Tournament field of Houston, TCU and San Diego State on Opening Weekend. Cal has not played a true road game yet this season.
- Cal and Florida State have faced one another just once on the baseball diamond, as the Seminoles won 5-4 on May 31, 1992 at the College World Series in Omaha, Neb. That Cal squad was led by legendary head coach Bob Milano.
- Cal has 16 wins against nationally-ranked opponents under head coach Mike Neu since 2018.
- Golden Spikes Award watch list selection Josh White has performed as advertised so far this season, striking out 10 batters in each of his first two starts while owning a 0.79 ERA and .162 batting average against.
- Fellow Golden Spikes Award watch list selection and consensus preseason All-American Dylan Beavers is batting .290/.410/.613 with three home runs and eight RBI through eight games played.
- An impressive crop of freshmen has contributed to Cal's early success, including starters Caleb Lomavita (.323/.421/.581), Carson Crawford (.296/.387/.593) and Rodney Green Jr. (.386/.429/.737). On the mound, Ian May has struck out eight batters in 7.0 innings of relief while Christian Becerra struck out five of six batters faced to finish off No. 23 Sacramento State on Tuesday.
- Cole Elvis leads Cal with 12 hits and 10 RBI while handling day-by-day duties behind the dish. He's batting .364/.417/.545.