Road Stretch Continues for Utes at Bakersfield and Fresno State
Mar 3, 2022
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (5-1-1 overall, 0-0 Pac-12) at CSU Bakersfield (3-4 overall, 0-0 Big West)
Friday, March 4 // 7:05 p.m. MT
Saturday, March 5 // 2:05 p.m. MT (doubleheader)
Sunday, March 6 // 2:05 p.m. MT
Utah at Fresno State
|Location||Bakersfield, Calif. (Hardt Field) // Fresno, Calif. (Bob Bennett Stadium)|
|Live Statistics||CSU Bakersfield // Fresno State|
|Streaming||CSUB: Friday // Sunday (ESPN+)
Fresno State: Tuesday (Mountain West Network)
|Game Notes||Utah Game Notes // Pac-12 Weekly Release|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes|
|Season Outlook||New Look Utes Ready for 2022 Baseball Season|
The First Pitch: Things to Know
- The Utah baseball team is back in California for the third straight weekend, outbound to the Golden State for five games and beginning the trip with a four-game series at CSU Bakersfield.
- The Utes will then head up Highway 99 and prep for a Tuesday night showdown with Fresno State, a rematch of the teams' Feb. 25 meeting.
- These five games will be the final tune-ups for the Utes before beginning Pac-12 Conference play next weekend, as Washington comes to Salt Lake City for a three-game series at Smith's Ballpark.
- Utah is 5-1-1 on the young season, the program's best start to a season since at least 1981. The Utes are yet to lose a nine-inning game this season, with the only non-victories coming in a 10-inning tie at Loyola Marymount (Feb. 20), plus a seven-inning setback at San Diego State (Feb. 27).
- Both the aforementioned LMU and SDSU games were called when a predetermined time of day was reached. This was established prior to first pitch as a result of the Utes' return travel itinerary to Salt Lake City.
Recap in a Minute
- The Utes are coming off of a 12-9 win at former Mountain West rival UNLV on Tuesday, March 1. Head coach Gary Henderson's club went off for a season-high 18 hits, nine of which were doubles and tied a single-game program record in that category. Six different players had multi-hit performances, and Alex Baeza, Carter Booth and Jayden Kiernan smacked two doubles apiece.
- It was the fifth straight game in which the Utes have homered. At UNLV, TJ Clarkson hit his first home run of the 2022 season.
- Several Utes had career days at the plate. Baeza, hitting out of the cleanup spot, went 4-for-6 with a career-high-tying four RBI. Kiernan and Clarkson followed him in the five and six-holes with three hits each.
- The midweek matchup also brought a chance to catch some new faces in action on the mound. Right-hander Dane Baker picked up the win with 1.1 scoreless innings of relief, and fellow newcomer Jaden Harris worked 2.2 innings, also of the shutout variety. It was the first appearance at Utah for both.
Last Time vs. the Roadrunners and Bulldogs
- Utah and CSU Bakersfield last met in the season-opening series of the 2017 campaign. After a late rally fell short for the Utes in the opener, the team bounced back for a win in the middle contest and claimed the rubber game in a 15-3 blowout victory.
- Tuesday's game at Fresno State will see the Utes look for two wins over the Bulldogs in a little over a week. On Feb. 25, Matthew Sox was just two outs away from a no-hitter vs. Fresno State, but a bloop single with one away in the ninth inning ended the bid. Utah hung on that afternoon for a 2-1 win in the opening game of the Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament.
Related News & Videos
6 minutes ago