Sand Devils Battle To Split At Cactus Classic
TUCSON, Ariz. – On the second and final day of the Cactus Classic on Saturday, Sun Devil Beach Volleyball split its matchups, falling to No. 9 Hawai'i, 5-0, before winning a close dual with Boise State, 3-2.
Arizona State (3-3) was able to rebound after a tough dual against Hawai'i in the morning, getting revenge on Boise State, who won the matchup last weekend by the same 3-2 score. The Sun Devils finish the weekend with a 3-1 record at the tournament.
Game One: Hawai'i 5, Arizona State 0
After the Sand Devils saw some close first sets, including 21-19 scores on courts three and four, the Rainbow Warriors took control to sweep all matches. There was a slight lineup change from the duals yesterday with the ones and twos switching spots.
Results (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5*, 3, 4)
- Van Sickle/Glagau (UH) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-15, 21-12
- Loker/Wagoner (UH) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-14, 21-16
- Santer/Widener (UH) def. Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-19, 21-15
- Huddleston/Penner (UH) def. Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-19, 21-16
- Russo/Maidment (UH) def. Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) 21-15, 21-16
Game Two: Arizona State 3, Boise State 2
In the rematch from last weekend, the Sun Devils came away victorious. The difference between the last matchup was Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald getting it done, winning in three sets on their court to get revenge over the Broncos. Lila Bordis and Sarah Waters on court three also won their match in three sets. Cierra Flood and Lexi Sweeney, back on the top court after the first dual, won in straight sets, an upgrade from the first matchup against Boise State as that went to three with ASU still winning.
Results (Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4*, 5)
- Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Martin/Tan (BSU) 21-19, 21-15
- Chartier/Land (BSU) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-15, 22-20
- Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Mejia/O'Neil (BSU) 18-21, 21-12, 15-8
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Boss/Nichols (BSU) 16-21, 21-17, 15-9
- Benson/Guerra-Acuna (BSU) def. Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) 21-15, 16-21, 16-14
The Sand Devils will host Benedictine University at Mesa and in-state rival Arizona on Tuesday at the brand new Sun Devil Beach Volleyball Facility. Those duals will be at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. MST, with a dual between the two visiting teams at 1 p.m. MST as well.