Softball Falls Short on Day 2 of Judi Garman
Fullerton, Calif.– No. 23 Sun Devil softball (11-5) fell short to Loyola Marymount (11-10) on Saturday night in the second day of the Judi Garman Classic. Junior Alynah Torres and sophomore Emily Cazares recorded the two Arizona State hits in the 4-0 loss.
Torres' double in the fourth inning dropped just short of exiting the stadium for a home run as it bounced off the left center field wall instead. In the final frame, Cazares found the gap in right field to get on base, but the Sun Devils were unable to muster any hits to bring her home after she stole second on a wild pitch.
The double is Torres' sixth of the season and places her second on the team in hits (17).
Freshman Cydney Sanders was walked two times, extending her walks on the season to 14 – a team high.
Junior Lindsay Lopez got the start in the circle where she struck out five. Lopez was then relieved by fellow Arizona native Marissa Schuld. Schuld dominated her two and two-thirds innings with seven strikeouts.
The redshirt sophomore leads the team in strikeouts with 41 in 27.1 innings pitched.
To conclude the Judi Garman Classic on Sunday, the Sun Devils will play a doubleheader beginning with Texas A&M at 10 a.m. MST followed by Seattle at 12:15 p.m. at Anderson Family Field. They are the designated away team in both games.
How it happened:
Loyola Marymount 4, Arizona State 0
- Sanders reached second base in the first inning after a walk, but was stranded.
- After two scoreless innings, Loyola Marymount scored in the top of the third off of a single to right field.
- Torres notched the first hit for the Sun Devils with a double in the bottom of the fourth, but was left on base.
- Loyola Marymount scored two more runs in the top of the fifth with a single which cleared the bases.
- Cazares singled in the bottom of the 7th and then stole second on a wild pitch, but was stranded to close the game.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU Softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
The Sun Devils will be back in action tomorrow with a doubleheader, Sun. March 6, at 10 a.m. against Texas A&M followed by a matchup against Seattle University at 12:15 p.m. MST. Games are not being live-streamed, but fans can follow the live stats links provided attached with the schedule below.
Game Schedule (Time in MT)
March 6th -
ASU vs. Texas A&M @ 10:00 A.M. (Live Stats)
ASU vs. Seattle @ 12:15 P.M. (Live Stats)
*home team is italicized