USC Track & Field Wins Five More Events At The Beach Opener
Ashton Allen won the men's 400m, Jalaysiya Smith the women's 100m hurdles, Celera Barnes the women's 100m, Gavin Schurr the men's 100m and Breanna Bernard-Joseph the women's 400m hurdles to lead the Trojans during the final day of the Beach Opener held at Jack Rose Stadium in Long Beach, Calif. today (March 5).
- Allen and Sam VanDorpe went 1-2 in the men's 400m dash. Allen had a collegiate-best time of 48.24 to win, while VanDorpe had a time of 48.74 to take second.
- Janiah Brown took third in the women's 400m with a PR of 56.54.
- Smith won the women's 100m hurdles by nearly a second with a time of 13.96 (-1.0). She came back later to take fourth in the women's 200m dash with a time of 24.33 (+0.4).
- Barnes, in her first race for the Trojans since transferring in from Kentucky, won the women's 100m dash with a wind-aided time of 11.25 (+3.3). Her 11.25 clocking was her best season-opening time of her collegiate career.
- Schurr made his Trojan debut by winning the men's 100m with a time of 10.47 (+0.2). Daniel Robinson and Curtis Johnson III tied for seventh with a time of 10.80. The wind in Robinson's heat was (+0.1) and in Johnson's was (+0.2).
- Bernard-Joseph opened up the outdoor season with a time of 60.65 to win the women's 400m hurdles. Teammate Maci Simmons placed third with a time of 60.89 in her first outdoor race as a Trojan.
- Robinson took second later in the day in the men's 200m dash with a time of 21.60 (-3.4). His time was best among the college runners. Johnson III had a time of 21.89 (+0.4) to finish fifth in the event.
- Dallas Wise made his Trojan outdoor debut by placing eighth in the men's long jump. Wise had a best leap on the day of 22-9.00/6.93m (+1.1).
- Wise then came back to finish third in the men's high jump with a clearance of 6-9.00/2.06m. He went out at 6-11.00/2.11m, as did all the other jumpers, which would have been a personal best.
USC will next be in action at the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala. From March 10-12. USC's next outdoor action will be on March 18-19 when it hosts the annual Trojan Invitational at Loker Stadium.