Cal Hosts Santa Clara Tuesday
BERKELEY – California baseball returns to Bear Territory for a four-game homestand this week, starting against Santa Clara at 5 p.m. PT Tuesday at Evans Diamond. The contest will be live streamed on Pac-12 Plus.
The Golden Bears (6-5) most recently dropped two of three games at No. 10 Florida State this past weekend, but earned a 5-3 extra-inning victory in the series finale Sunday. Cal has played four straight games against nationally-ranked foes since last Tuesday. Santa Clara (7-4) has won five in a row, including a series sweep against UC San Diego last weekend.
Fans attending games at Evans Diamond are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings in outdoor areas. Facial coverings are required at all times in indoor spaces (i.e., restrooms) for guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks will be available at entrances for fans upon request.
- Matchup: Cal (6-5) vs. Santa Clara (7-4)
- Location: Evans Diamond | Berkeley, Calif.
- First Pitch: 5:05 p.m. PT
- Watch: Live Stream (Pac-12 Plus) | PxP: Ben Ross
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Probable Pitchers: RHP Sam Stoutenborough vs. TBA
- Cal is 164-95 all-time against Santa Clara. Tuesday's contest is the first meeting between the two programs since April 17, 2018 when Santa Clara earned a 6-4 win in Berkeley. Cal is the third Pac-12 opponent on Santa Clara's schedule already this season. The Broncos lost two of three games at USC on Opening Weekend and took a 5-0 loss at Stanford on Feb. 22.
- Sam Stoutenborough is expected to make his third start of the season on the mound Tuesday. In 9.2 innings pitched, Stoutenborough has a 2.79 earned run average, .194 batting average against and eight strikeouts to just two walks. Despite not earning the decision, the senior right-hander was excellent last Tuesday against No. 23 Sacramento State with 5.0 shutout innings pitched.
- Cal's early-season slate has included five games against nationally-ranked opponents. Cal is 3-2 in such games.
- Cole Elvis (.341/.396/.500) has been Cal's most consistent bat this season, leading the team in hits (15) and RBI (11).
- Cal's freshmen continue to impress early this season, as Caleb Lomavita (.321, two home runs), Carson Crawford (.333, eight hits), Rodney Green Jr. (.375, one home run) and Ian May (7.0 innings, eight strikeouts, 1.29 ERA) have contributed in key roles. Lomavita exploded with a 3-for-4, four RBI effort in the front end of last Saturday's doubleheader vs. UIC.
- Despite a difficult weekend at Florida State, Golden Spikes Award watch list selection Dylan Beavers still has four home runs and 10 RBI through 11 games played. He's batting .279/.385/.605 in 43 at bats at the No. 1-2 spots in Cal's lineup.
- Senior right-hander Nick Proctor has tallied 10 strikeouts and a .100 average against in 6.1 innings pitched over five relief appearances.