Arizona Competes in ASU Tri-Match, Goes 1-1
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Wildcats have moved to 5-3 on the season after going 1-1 in the ASU Tri-Match against Benedictine at Mesa and Arizona State. Arizona completed their second sweep of the season, going 5-0 against the Benedictine Eagles. The Cats then went on to play a tight match with in-state rival ASU where they eventually fell 2-3.
The Cats secured their third program win over the Benedictine Eagles on Tuesday. It was a quick victory as all five courts finished in just two sets. Sarah Blacker and Maja Kaiser earned the first point of the match in the lowest set score of the day, going 21-6, 21-7 on court two. Pairs Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie and Hope Shannon/Kali Uhl came in just behind them with equally as low set scores (21-7, 21-9 & 21-8, 21-10) to win the match for the Cats.
Against their in-state rival ASU, Arizona put up a tough fight but ultimately fell, bringing their program record against ASU to 14-4. The Wildcat's winning pairs were Blacker/Kaiser and Parkhurst/Rennie, making them both undefeated on the day. Blacker/Kaiser made quick work of securing the first point of the match, finishing 21-18, 21-16. The Cats went on to fall on the next two courts but Parkhurst/Rennie were able to push for a third set after falling in a lengthy 28-30 first set. After coming back with an impressive 21-18 second set, the pair were able to secure a 15-13 final in the third. With the match split at 2-2, Dana Parker and Jasmine Safar were locked in a tie breaker on court three. After taking set one 21-19 and falling in the second, the Sun Devils were able to complete take the last set.
#13 Arizona 5, Benedictine Results 0
1. Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie (UA) def. Courtney Ely/Christina Sanchez (BenU) 21-7, 21-9
2. Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser (UA) def. Annabelle Somoza/Kylie Bartel (BenU) 21-6, 21-7
3. Jasmine Safar/Dana Parker (UA) def. Brianna Rivera/Haley Rivera (BenU) 21-9, 21-11
4. Abby Russell/Dilara Gedikoglu (UA) def. Violeti Faleumu/Paige Padilla (BenU) 21-11, 21-16
5.Hope Shannon/Kalli Uhl (UA) def. Juliana Montes/Isabel Ponce (BenU) 21-8, 21-10
(Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1*, 5, 3)
#13 Arizona 2, Arizona State 3
1. Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie (ARIZ) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 28-30, 21-18, 15-13
2. Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser (ARIZ) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-18, 21-16
3. Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Dana Parker/Jasmine Safar (ARIZ) 21-19, 19-21, 15-11
4. Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Abby Russell/Dilara Gedikoglu (ARIZ) 16-21, 21-19, 15-8
5. Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Hope Shannon/Mady Noble (ARIZ) 21-14, 21-19
(Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3*)