Ducks Beat Portland in Home Opener
EUGENE, Ore. – Playing on its home courts for the first time this season, the Oregon beach volleyball team registered a 4-1 win over Portland Tuesday afternoon at Amazon Park. The Ducks improve to 4-1 through their first five matches of the year.
Playing in waves of two matches at a time, Oregon jumped out to a 2-0 lead with straight-set wins on courts three and five. The pair of Zoe Almanza and Chloe Brown—UO No. 3—posted a 21-14, 21-16 victory in the season debut for both. Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist improved to 4-1 as a pair with a 21-17, 21-9 triumph on court five.
The Ducks clinched the match win when Reagan Hope and Madelyn LaFollette took down Sarah Strong and Grace Zilbert in the top spot of the lineup. Individually, Hope improves to 5-0 this season. She was partnered with Brooke Nuneviller during the season-opening weekend.
Nuneviller is in Anaheim, Calif., this week after being invited among a group of top collegians to attend the USA Women's National Team Spring Training Camp.
Oregon added its fourth tally with 21-19, 21-18 win by Alex Laita and Batia Rotshtein in another new pairing for the Ducks. Laita ended the match with an ace.
Portland (1-4) secured its lone point of the day with a three-set victory at the No. 2 spot in the lineup, besting the UO pair of Ashley Schroeder and Ella Tyus playing up a position from the season-opening weekend. The visitors also had a non-counting match at No. 6 pairs.
Dating back to the 2018 season, the Ducks have won nine in a row against Portland.
Oregon 4, Portland 1
1. Reagan Hope/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) d. Sarah Strong/Grace Zilbert (UP) – 21-14, 21-16
2. Noe Helm/Charity Bardley (UP) d. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) – 16-21, 21-16, 15-11
3. Zoe Almanza/Chloe Brown (ORE) d. Kei Mumolo/Anni Stammberger (UP) – 21-14, 21-16
4. Alex Laita/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) d. Taylor Helle/Sophie Lee (UP) – 21-19, 21-18
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) d. Kendall Nolan/Mileina Sniffen (UP) – 21-17, 21-9
6. Krysten Bugarin/Talyn Jackson (UP) d. Jade Bernal/Dahlia McAllister (ORE) – 23-21, 21-17*
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1*, 4, 2
The Ducks are off to Salem, Ore., on Saturday for matches against Bushnell and Boise State. First serve of the twin bill is scheduled for 10 a.m. (PT). Oregon's next home match is April 21, another matchup with Portland.
For more news and information, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.