No. 10 Cal Travels To Hawaii For Queen's Cup
BERKELEY – After two wins last weekend, the No. 10 California beach volleyball will have a much busier week as they have six matches in three days at the Outrigger Queen's Cup. The Bears are in Manoa, Hawaii for duals against No. 10 Hawaii, No. 3 TCU, Nebraska and UC Davis.
Cal will take on Hawaii at 2 p.m. PT on Thursday followed by a 6 p.m. PT matchup against TCU. On Friday, the Bears will play Nebraska at 10 a.m. PT and UC Davis at 4 p.m. PT. The results from the first two days of action will determine the matchups for Saturday's knockout round at the Outrigger Queens Cup.
NO. 10 CAL TRAVELS TO HAWAII FOR OUTRIGGER QUEENS CUP
- Cal will travel across the Pacific Ocean for a four-team tournament starting on Thursday. The teams will play round robin matches on Thursday and Friday as Cal will face off with Hawaii, TCU, Nebraska and UC Davis.
- Cal is 6-0 all-time vs. UC Davis and have won the matches by a combined 27-3 scoreline across the six matchups.
- The Bears defeated UC Davis when they matched up this past weekend, 4-1 on Davis' home court.
- Cal will take on TCU for the first time in school history, the Horned Frogs are 9-0 this year and are currently ranked 3rd.
- The Bears won their most recent matchup against Hawaii as the two teams faced off at UC Davis last season. The No. 11 Bears defeated the No. 6 Rainbow Wahine, 4-1, recording the sixth top-10 win in program history, the Bears would go on to record three more top-10 wins last year.
ENTERING 2022 RANKED 11TH
- Cal was picked 11th in the Preseason AVCA Preseason Poll, but the Bears moved up one spot to No. 10 after the first week of action.
- The top-12 ranking continues a streak of being ranked in the top 12 of every poll since April 23, 2018. The Bears have now spent 1409 consecutive days ranked in the top 12 of the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Bears have finished each of the past four seasons ranked in the top 12 of the final poll, including an 11th-place finish in the final poll of the 2021 season.
- The Bears were chosen eighth in the preseason Collegiate Beach Volleyball Preseason Committee Rankings.
- Cal will have a new look this year as Meagan Owusu returns to coach the team after spending the 2020 season on maternity leave and leaving the team for the 2021 season.
- Cal welcomes eight newcomers to the team for the 2022 season including four transfers: AVCA All-American Ana Costa (Stetson), Ashley Delgado (Tulane), Natalie Martin (LSU) and Lexi McKeown (Florida State) are transfers who were in the lineup for each of the first two weekends.
- Cal pairs that incoming experience with a talented group of freshmen: Ella Dreibholz, Alena Korobko, Ella Sears and Alex Young-Gomez. Dreibholz is only freshman to play the first two weekends.
- Eight different players made debut during the 2021 season: Francesca Gettings, Katie Smoot, Maddie Sundholm, Kate Bierly, Brooke Buchner, Ava Mann, Maya Gessner and Grace Paulson.
For complete coverage of Cal beach volleyball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalBeachVB), Instagram (@CalBeachVB) and Facebook (/CalBeachVolleyball/).