Senior Day Tri-Meet With No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 21 Boise State This Friday
TEMPE, Ariz. – After becoming co-2022 Pac-12 Regular Season Champions for the first time in program history, No. 15 Sun Devil Gymnastics will wrap up the 2022 regular season and celebrate the seniors by hosting No. 1 Oklahoma and No. 21 Boise State on Friday, March 11 at 7 p.m. MST at Desert Financial Arena.
How to Follow
The senior day meet also has a blackout theme and fans are encouraged to wear black. Desert Financial Arena will be open to the public and tickets are available here. Fan safety protocol information is here. The matchup can be viewed on ASU Live Stream-3 at 7 p.m. MST. Live scoring will also be available, as well as updates on Twitter (@SunDevilGym).
Sun Devil Outlook
No. 15 Arizona State (5-3, 5-2 Pac-12)
- In this final home meet, Arizona State will honor its two seniors Jasmine Gutierrez and Megan Thompson. Both have been primarily beam specialists, with Thompson being in the lead-off spot for all three of her seasons as a Gym Devil. They also have made floor lineups throughout their careers. The team will also honor student managers Kaelynn Nadonza and Kaitlin Harvey, the latter also being a former gymnast for the first three seasons of her career.
- Last weekend, the Sun Devils defeated Stanford at their final road meet of the season scoring a 197-plus team score for the third consecutive week, while having seven gymnasts score a 9.900 or better across all events. The team has scored a 49-plus in all four events for the last three meets.
- ASU has won its last four meets in a row, the longest win streak since the start of the 2012 season. The five Pac-12 wins that helped the Gym Devils win a share of the regular season title is the most since 2001. Additionally, the Sun Devils are undefeated at home this season.
- The Gym Devils won a share of the Pac-12 regular season title alongside Cal, Oregon State and Utah. Arizona State defeated Cal at home on Feb. 27, stopping the Bears from winning the title outright.
- For the second time this season, the Sun Devils are hosting a top-ranked team in No. 1 Oklahoma. To start the season, ASU took on then-No. 1 Michigan. Additionally, Arizona State also competed at then-No. 2 Utah, making this the first season that the Sun Devils have faced three top-two teams in the regular season.
No. 1 Oklahoma (14-2, 1-0 Big 12)
- Oklahoma has been on a tear recently to jump up the rankings to No. 1. The Sooners scored two-straight 198-plus team scores last week, beating then-No. 1 Michigan at home on March 6 before traveling to a quad-meet at Texas Woman's and winning there. The team has scored a 198 or better five times in 2022.
- Three freshmen on the Oklahoma roster earned Big 12 honors this week. Jordan Bowers was Gymnast of the Week, Danae Fletcher was Event Specialist of the week and Danielle Sievers was the Newcomer of the Week. All three had a strong week for the Sooners, highlighted by Bowers' perfect 10 on vault.
- Arizona State last faced off against top-ranked Oklahoma on the road in 2021, placing second. This is the fifth year in a row these two teams have seen each other in the regular season. The Gym Devils' last win over the Sooners came in 1998.
No. 21 Boise State (7-4, 3-3 MRGC)
- The Broncos most recently took second place in the Illinois quad-meet, defeating Central Michigan and Northern Illinois, but falling short of Illinois.
- Fifth-year senior Emily Muhlenhaupt set the new school record for career wins on bars, tying the program high with a 9.975 on the event.
- In the last meeting between ASU and BSU, the Sun Devils placed second in Boise, narrowly losing by just 0.5 points. The Gym Devils lead 12-4 in the all-time series.