Beach Volleyball Splits Matches On Friday
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – After a slight change to the schedule, the Utah beach volleyball team split the day's action after taking a 5-0 win over Salt Lake Community College before falling 4-1 to host Colorado Mesa. Utah moves to 3-3 overall to start the season ahead of tomorrow's matches.
The Utes began the day with a matchup against SLCC, which was originally scheduled to be against Trinidad State before a the schedule was needed to be switched because of Trinidad's travel arrangements. Utah got it going early and picked up straight set wins from courts four and two to clinch the match. Sonja Wessel and Keira Sheehan won by default on court five, while Sommer Daniel/Lauren Sayre won 21-5, 21-9 on court four and Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier won 21-5, 23-21 on court two.
Leading 3-0, Utah handled business on courts three and one shortly after as Marissa Koch and Samanth Leight earned the win 21-9, 21-9 on court three and Utah's top pair of Bella Vezzani/Grace Andrews battled in three sets for a 20-22, 21-9, 15-5 victory.
The second match of the day came against Colorado Mesa where the Utes fell behind early and could not recover. The Mavericks took court two in straight sets and although Daniel and Sayre fought in three sets, the duo ultimately dropped the third set and Utah trailed 2-0. Colorado Mesa picked up wins on courts five and three, but Utah got a point on the board from its top pair as Vezzani/Andrews found themselves in another three-set match. The duo pulled out a close 19-21, 22-20, 15-9 win to end the day.
Utah 5, Salt Lake CC 0
1. Bella Vezzani/Grace Andrews (UTAH) def. Samantha Perry/Teilana Sekona (SLCC) 20-22, 21-9, 15-5
2. Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier (UTAH) def. Sunny Brown/Anastasia Tuifua (SLCC) 21-5, 23-21
3. Marissa Koch/Samantha Leight (UTAH) def. Elena Wallace/Sandora Sasaki (SLCC) 21-9, 21-9
4. Sommer Daniel/Lauren Sayre (UTAH) def. Kennady Charlton/Annie Michaelis (SLCC) 21-5, 21-9
5. Sonja Wessel/Keira Sheehan (UTAH) def. No player/No player (SLCC), by default
Order of finish: Doubles (5,4,2,3,1);
Colorado Mesa 4, Utah 1
1. Grace Andrews/Bella Vezzani (UTAH) def. Hahni Johnson/Savannah Spitzer (CMU-BVB) 19-21, 22-20, 15-9
2. Holly Schmidt/Macie Lachemann (CMU-BVB) def. Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier (UTAH) 21-16, 21-12
3. Jessa Megenhardt/Jada Hall (CMU-BVB) def. Marissa Koch/Samantha Leight (UTAH) 21-18, 21-19
4. Ara Norwood/Sierra Hunt (CMU-BVB) def. Sommer Daniel/Lauren Sayre (UTAH) 18-21, 21-10, 15-9
5. Sabrina VanDeList/Tye Wedhorn (CMU-BVB) def. Sonja Wessel/Keira Sheehan (UTAH) 21-15, 21-15
Ext. Stef Jankiewicz/Camille Lee (UTAH) def. Rianne Brown/Paige Gwaltney (CMU-BVB) 17-21, 21-15, 15-9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,4,5,3,1);