Huskies Bounce Back With Sweep Of Lobos
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Washington was all business today in a 4-0 victory over 71st-ranked New Mexico at San Diego's Hogan Center. The Dawgs (11-4, 1-0 Pac-12) were glad to have a quick turnaround in order to get the sour taste of Friday's tough 4-3 loss behind them, and they moved back into the win column in quick fashion today.
It was a reunion for the Huskies with former Associate Head Coach Chris Russell, now the head coach at New Mexico, but the Dawgs didn't let that distract from the task at hand. Washington had two convincing wins in doubles and was leading on the third court, then went on to get singles wins from Jack Davis, Clement Chidekh, and Han-Chih Lin in straight sets to hit four points.
Lin came through with the clincher today, defeating Alex Maggs, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 4 singles. Chidekh earned his 20th win on the season, and went to 9-0 in dual play with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles over Arda Azkara. Davis picked up his fourth consecutive singles win with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Aram Noroozian at third singles.
Ewen Lumsden was up a set and a break at No. 2 singles, Nedim Suko was in a third set but leading 3-1 at No. 5 singles, and Jack Pulliam was just starting a third set at No. 6 when the match finished.
In doubles, Davis and Wong posted a 6-3 win over Prieto/Azkara at the top spot, and Chidekh and Suko ran their dual record to 9-1 with a 6-3 victory at No. 2 doubles. Cesar Bouchelaghem and Lumsden had a 5-2 lead at three.
The Huskies will break for finals next week and then return to the Southwest, going to Las Vegas to face UNLV on Mar. 22 and Northern Arizona on Mar. 24.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 11, 2022
Hogan Center | San Diego, Calif.
#45 Washington – 4
#71 New Mexico – 0
1. (#3) Clement Chidekh (UW) def. Arda Azkara (UNM) – 6-3, 6-2
2. (#87) Ewen Lumsden (UW) vs. Rafael Abdulsalam (UNM) – 7-6, 2-0, DNF
3. Jack Davis (UW) def. Aram Noroozian (UNM) – 6-3, 6-3
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Alex Maggs (UNM) – 6-1, 6-4
5. Nedim Suko (UW) vs. Jan Pucalka (UNM) – 6-0, 2-6, 3-1, DNF
6. Jack Pulliam (UW) vs. Georgio Samaha (UNM) – 6-3, 0-6, 0-1, DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4
1. (#75) Davis/Wong (UW) def. Prieto/Azkara (UNM) – 6-3
2. (#34) Chidekh/Suko (UW) def. Maggs/Pucalka (UNM) – 6-3
3. Bouchelaghem/Lumsden (UW) vs. Abdulsalam/Samaha (UNM) – 5-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2