Burnett’s School Record Wins 60m Title; Ford & McGlaston Take 5th In Events At NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships
Davonte Burnett set the USC 60m dash record in winning the title and Jan'Taijah Ford and Mecca McGlaston took fifth in events to lead the Trojans during the final day of the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships held at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala. today (March 12). The USC women's team scored 13 points to finish 15th overall and the men's team totaled 14 points to finish 18th overall.Nine Trojan athletes earned NCAA Indoor All-America honors.
- Burnett won the NCAA men's 60m dash title twice, really. There was an error in the timing in the first time they ran the 60m final, so they did it again and Burnett demonstrated it was no fluke winning with a school-record time of 6.50. Brendon Stewart placed sixth in the final with a time of 6.64 and Kasaun James did not start.. Burnett's time eclipsed the previous school record of 6.55 held by Olympian Aaron Brown and teammate James.
- Ford placed fifth in the women's 400m race with a PR of 51.51. That time moved her from fourth to third on USC's indoor list.
- McGlaston placed fifth in the women's 60m hurdles with a time of 8.03. Jasmine Jones did not finish the race after hitting a hurdle and tumbling down.
- The women's 4x400m relay team of Bailey Lear, Kimberly Harris, McGlaston and Ford placed fourth with a time of 3:33.03.
- The men's 4x400m relay team of Nicholas Ramey, Zach Shinnick, Brendon Stewart and Johnnie Blockburger placed eighth with a time of 3:06.21. Blockburger was credited with a 45.51 lap on the anchor leg.
- Earnest Sears III cleared 7-0.50 (2.15m) to finish tied for ninth in the men's high jump, just outside of scoring
Trojans earning first team All-America honors for the indoor season are: Johnnie Blockburger (4x400m), Davonte Burnett (60m), Jan'Taijah Ford (400m, 4x400m), Kimberly Harris (4x400m), Bailey Lear (4x400m), Mecca McGlaston (60m H, 4x400m), Nicholas Ramey (4x400m), Zach Shinnick (4x400m) Brendon Stewart (60m, 4x400m).
USC will be hosting the Trojan Invitational on March 18-19. The the hammer throw and discus throw competitions will be contested beginning at noon on March 18 at the South Bay Throws Facility, while the majority of the meet will be at Loker Stadium on March 19 beginning at 11 a.m.
# # # # #