Baseball Drops Finale In Pullman
PULLMAN, Wash. – Jacob Melton went 4-for-5 with three runs batted in but Washington State took the series finale, 9-8, at Bailey-Brayton Field with a pair of run-scoring singles in the ninth.
Bryce Matthews drove home the game-winning run with two down off reliever Mitchell Verburg. That followed a run-scoring single by Collin Montez, which tied the game at eight.
Verburg took the loss, dropping to 0-2. Connor Barison earned the win to improve to 3-0.
Melton tied a career-best with four hits, including a two-run double. He finished the day with three runs batted in, which gives him a Pac-12 best 28 this season. He totaled three home runs, a double and eight RBI in the series versus the Cougars.
Travis Bazzana also had two hits and two RBI, while Garret Forrester drove in two.
Oregon State (11-2 overall, 2-1 Pac-12 Conference) jumped out to a 6-2 lead, with Melton accounting for three of the RBI. WSU pulled to within 6-4 thanks to two runs in the fourth. Forrester made it a 7-4 game with a sacrifice fly in the sixth, but the Cougars answered with three runs in the bottom half of the inning.
Brock Townsend started for the Beavers and exited after 3 1/3 innings. He did not figure in the decision after allowing seven hits and four runs with a walk. Townsend gave way to reliever AJ Lattery, who struck out two in 1 2/3 scoreless innings.
Washington State (8-7, 1-2) starter Cole McMillan walked seven and allowed four hits and six runs in four innings. He was in line for the loss when leaving but did not figure in the decision after Washington State tied the game in the sixth.
Oregon State returns home to start a six-game homestand Tuesday night versus Grand Canyon. The Beavers and Antelopes start the two-game midweek series at 5:35 p.m. PT. Tickets can be purchased by visiting osubeavers.com/baseballtickets.
- Tanner Smith made his first collegiate start at first base.
- Smith earned an assist in the seventh when throwing out a runner at the plate with the bases loaded and one down. Smith fielded a chopper, and bounced the throw to Gavin Logan, who held on for the force out.
- Jacob Melton has hit safely in all 13 games this season and extended his hit streak to 15 games.
- Melton has eight multi-RBI and multi-hit efforts this season.
- Melton, Wade Meckler and Justin Boyd have all reached base safely in every game in 2022. Garret Forrester, meanwhile, has reached base safely in 12 straight.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).