Men's Tennis Downed by #43 Cal
BERKELEY, Calif. – The Utah men's tennis team was defeated by #43 Cal on Sunday afternoon. The Utes were defeated 5-2.
The Utes came out and won the first doubles match when Francisco Bastias and Bruno Caula won 6-2 in No. 2 doubles. After the Utes dropped the third doubles, the match was tied at 1-1.
Needing to win No. 1 doubles to earn the point for the Utes, Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman were locked in a battle with the 17th ranked ITA doubles team of Uta Kikuchi and Carl Emil Overbeck. Utah came away with a 7-5 victory, and Capalbo and Espin Busleiman came away with their second straight victory over a ranked doubles team.
Entering singles, the Golden Bears bounced back and took a 2-1 lead over the Utes. Carl Emil Overbeck and Derrick Chen won their singles matches to put the Utes down.
Utah tied the match at 2-2 when Geronimo Espin Busleiman came away with a singles victory. He had a hard-fought first set taking it 7-6 (6). The No. 118th ranked singles player came away with a 6-0 victory in the second set.
However, the Utes would not claim another win as they would drop the next three matches in a third set. Francisco Bastias dropped the first set before rebounding to take the second set, 7-5. However, he was defeated 6-2 in the third.
Capalbo matched up with the No. 91 ranked singles player by the ITA and won the first set 6-4. However, he would fall in the following two sets. In No. 6 singles, Bruno Krenn dropped the first set and won set two forcing a third set. Krenn battled in the third set before falling, 7-5.
#43 CAL 5, #22 UTAH 2
1. Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (Utah) def. No. 17 Yuta Kikuchi/Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 7-5*
2. Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (Utah) def. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal), 6-2
3. Alex Chang/Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Jayson Blando/Mathias Gavelin (Utah), 6-4
Order of Finish – 2, 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 91 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal) def. Franco Capalbo (Utah), 4-6, 7-5, 6-1^
2. Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Francisco Bastias (Utah), 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
3. No. 118 Geronimo Espin Busleiman (Utah) def. Sean Hill (Cal), 7-6(6), 6-0
4. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Bruno Caula (Utah), 6-0, 7-5
5. Derrick Chen (Cal) def. Mathias Gavelin (Utah), 7-6(5), 6-2
6. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Bruno Krenn (Utah), 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
Order of Finish – 4, 5, 3, 2, 1^, 6
^Clinched the overall match
The Utes return to action on Friday, March 18, when they head to San Diego, Calif., to take on the University of San Diego. The match is set to start at 3 p.m. MT.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).