Colorado Comeback Falls Short
BOULDER – The Colorado women's tennis team battled back from a 3-0 deficit here Tuesday afternoon against CSU, but ultimately fell 4-2 to the Rams.
The Buffaloes (5-8, 0-4 Pac-12) came into the match 40-0 against their rivals from the north, but a newly built roster and coaching staff boosted the Rams (6-3) to their first win over a Power-Five team since 2004.
Outside at a windy CU South Campus Tennis Complex, the teams traded 6-3 doubles victories with Megan Forster and Mila Stanojevic picking up the first win in the No.3 doubles position after being down 3-0. CSU clinched the point with a 6-3 win in the No.2 doubles position to take the early lead.
Things weren't looking good for Colorado when the first sets were finished up and CU only had one set victory from Betina Tokac in the No.6 position against Sarah Weekley 6-4. The team then began battling back, picking up second sets in the No.1, No.2 and No.4 singles matches.
Freshman Mila Stanojevic lost in the No.5 singles match to Lucia Natal, 6-2, 6-1, marking just her third loss in 18 matches. Up 2-0 with the Buffs battling back, Maria Campos forced a tiebreak in the No.3 singles match against Sarka Richterova but fell 7-5, 7(3)-6 to set up match point for CSU.
Five minutes later, Tokac finished up the win in the No.6 singles match 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. Pozo also won her No.2 match moments after against Matea Mihaljevic 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 to give the Buffs hope.
Everything came down to Forster in the No.4 singles match and Balzert in the No.1 singles match. Balzert traded 6-4 sets with Radka Buzkova to force a third set, while Forster came back from a 6-2 first set loss against Somer Dalla-Bona to win the second 7-5. Things were as balanced as they could be as each match was tied with Balzert's score at 4-4 in the third and Forster at 3-3. The final point came as Buzkova picked up the next to games to clinch the match while Forster's match was abandoned at 4-4.
Colorado is on a three-match losing streak and will have a tough weekend ahead with road matches against No.21-ranked Stanford Friday at 2:30 p.m. MT before heading to take on No.10 Cal Sunday at noon MT. The team will return home during spring break but have added a match to the schedule at Wyoming Wednesday Mar. 23.
Colorado State 4, Colorado 2
1. Radka Buzkova (CSU) def. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. Caroline Pozo (COLO) def. Matea Mihaljevic (CSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Sarka Richterova (CSU) def. Maria Campos (COLO) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Megan Forster (COLO) vs. Somer Dalla-Bona (CSU) 2-6, 7-5, 4-4, unfinished
5. Lucia Natal (CSU) def. Mila Stanojevic (COLO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Betina Tokac (COLO) def. Sarah Weekley (CSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Radka Buzkova/Matea Mihaljevic (CSU) def. Caroline Pozo/Maria Campos (COLO) 6-3
2. Sarka Richterova/Somer Dalla-Bona (CSU) def. Ky Ecton/Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-3
3. Megan Forster/Mila Stanojevic (COLO) def. Lucia Natal/Tracy Guo (CSU) 6-3
Colorado State 6-3
Colorado 5-8, 0-4 Pac-12