No. 15 Texas Edges No. 9 USC Men’s Tennis 4-3
LOS ANGELES — No. 9 USC men's tennis wound up on the wrong end of a tight match tonight at Marks Stadium, as No. 15 Texas made three three-set comebacks to claim a 4-3 win over the Trojans. USC goes to 10-4 overall with tonight's loss.
In a tight doubles battle, USC got a key leg up when the Trojans' top guns of #14 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye issued two late breaks of Longhorns Braswell/Huang to take a 6-4 win on court one. So, too, would Peter Makk and Lodewijk Weststrate combine forces for a late break of McDonald/Woldeab on court three. Weststrate held serve and got one last ace to claim a 7-5 decision that plugged a point on the board for the Trojans and suspended a 5-5 snarl on court two to bring up singles.
Stepping into the No. 6 slot for singles, freshman Ryan Colby delivered the first win of that stretch with a swift 6-4, 6-0 victory over Evin McDonald. The Longhorns got on the board when #32 Richard Ciamarra posted a 6-3, 6-2 win on court two over USC's Wojtek Marek to make it 2-1. While three matches extended into third sets, #7 Stefan Dostanic pumped the Trojans ahead 3-1 as he took down #38 Micah Braswell 7-5, 6-4 at the top spot. Again, Texas got one back. On court four, Siem Woldeab reeled in USC's #116 Bradley Frye and made 3-2 with the Longhorn's 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 (6) victory. Texas would tangle things up with an equalizer coming on court three, where Eliot Spizzirri battled back to beat USC's #30 Peter Makk 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 to make it 3-3 and put all eyes on a tense third set on court five. There, Chih Chi Huang outlasted USC's Ryder Jackson in a battle to the bitter end, as the Longhorns got the clincher on Huang's 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 comeback effort to win it 4-3.
USC now turns to Pac-12 action later in the week, hosting Arizona State at 5 p.m. on Friday (March 18) and then taking on Arizona at 1 p.m. on Sunday (March 20) at Marks Stadium.
#15 Texas 4, #9 USC 3
March 15, 2022 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #14 Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Braswell/Huang (UT) - 6-4
(2) Jackson/Marek (USC) vs. Ciamarra/Spizzirri (UT) - 5-5 susp.
(3) Makk/Weststrate (USC) def. McDonald/Woldeab (UT) - 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #7 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. #38 Micah Braswell (UT) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) #32 Richard Ciamarra (UT) def. Wojtek Marek (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Eliot Spizzirri (UT) def. #30 Peter Makk (USC) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
(4) Siem Woldeab (UT) def. #116 Bradley Frye (USC) - 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 (6)
(5) Chih Chi Huang (UT) def. Ryder Jackson (USC) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4*
(6) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Evin McDonald (UT) - 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5*