Fight In The Fort This Weekend For Sand Devils
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Beach Volleyball stays on the road this weekend, this time traveling to Texas for the Fight in the Fort tournament at TCU this Friday and Saturday, March 18-19.
Schedule and How to Follow
On Friday, ASU will face Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 7:30 a.m. MST before taking on the host team No. 3 TCU at 1:30 p.m. MST. Arizona State will play both duals in the morning on Saturday, starting with Louisiana-Monroe at 7:30 a.m. MST and ending the tournament against New Orleans at 11:30 a.m. MST. The tournament will have live scoring to follow along. Updates will be provided on social media as well, @SunDevilBeachVB.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (7-5, 2-0 Pac-12)
- Last week, the Sand Devils played six duals, including two in the home opener. The team went 4-2 in those duals, picking up a ranked win over then-No. 13 Arizona in the new home facility. The Sun Devils have won seven of the last 10 duals.
- The wins leaders on the team are sophomore Lila Bordis and junior Sarah Waters. The two have an 8-4 record together at the No. 3 spot. Behind them are the sophomore duo of Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald who have the same record as the team, 7-5.
- Fifth-year senior Cierra Flood is currently at 57 career wins, which puts her in a tie for fourth in the ASU record book. She is 10 wins away from the top spot, which Katelyn Carballo took last season with 67 wins.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (9-4)
- The Islanders are fresh off of a 3-1 weekend at a tournament in Tulane. They have won five of the last six duals.
- Last season, TAMUCC went 16-12, finishing in second place at the Southland Conference Beach Volleyball Tournament.
- ASU and Corpus Christi met last season with the Sun Devils winning 3-2. That was the first meeting between the two programs.
TCU (15-0, 2-0 CCSA)
- The Horned Frogs are off to a blazing start to the 2022 season. In their perfect start, they have nine ranked wins, including five top-10 wins. The best win came against No. 3 Florida State at home.
- In 2021, TCU went 26-10, 17-4 in CCSA play. The team qualified for the NCAA Championships, dropping both duals.
- This will be the fourth meeting between ASU and TCU, with the Sun Devils leading 3-1 in the all-time series. They last met in 2018 with Arizona State getting the upset.
- Last week, the War Hawks competed in the Gamecock Grand Slam, going 1-3 with a win over Mercer.
- ULM went 14-22 in 2021, dropping both duals at the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association Championship to end the season.
- The Sun Devils last met the War Hawks in 2019 with ASU coming out on top. That is the only time these programs have played each other.
New Orleans (8-4)
- The Privateers are off to a solid start to the 2022 season. They went 2-2 at the Tulane Classic last weekend, going a perfect 4-0 at the SHC Beach Bash the week prior.
- The team has already matched last year's 8-16 win total. New Orleans won its first dual at the Southland Conference Tournament against Central Arkansas before falling in the next two.
- This will be the second meeting between ASU and New Orleans, with the Sun Devils winning the first matchup ini 2017.