No. 22 Softball to Open Pac-12 Play at Farrington against No. 23 Oregon State
TEMPE, Ariz.- No. 22 Arizona State (19-5) opens up conference play against No. 23 Oregon State (22-4) at Farrington Stadium this weekend. The series includes three games starting on Friday, March 18 at 6 p.m.
The weekend will continue on Saturday, March 19 with a golden hour first pitch, 4 p.m. and will conclude on Sunday, March 20 at 1 p.m. Throughout the series the program will be celebrating alumni weekend, bringing awareness to breast and pediatric cancer and having ceremonial first pitches from members of the 1972, 1973, 2008 and 2011 Championship teams.
The Sun Devils are on an eight game winning streak after defeating Marist 9-1 on Tuesday evening and sweeping competition in the Sun Devil Classic where ASU gave up just three runs throughout the weekend and picking up wins against Texas A&M and Seattle in the Judi Garman Classic.
ASU picked up its fourth run-rule win in six games over Marist on Tuesday evening in a 9-1 victory over the Red Foxes in five winnings. Senior Marissa Schuld picked up a career-high 10 strikeouts as she pitched all five innings and the bats were hot for the Sun Devils as they had 13 runs over the span of just three innings and three home runs in the evening.
Mac Morgan, a freshman, is currently the team leader in wins on the season as she picked up her eighth and ninth wins during the Sun Devil Classic. Schuld leads the team in strikeouts with 65 on the season with 41.2 innings of pitching under her belt. As the team leader in ERA with 0.85, junior Lindsay Lopez pitched a complete game in the 5-1 win over Rutgers on Saturday with seven strikeouts.
Senior Yannira Acuña leads the team's batting average with a .492 where she had a sensational weekend at bat where she had five home runs throughout the Sun Devil Classic. Freshman Cydney Sanders is right behind with a .466 batting average with seven home runs so far this season.
To celebrate alumni weekend, on Saturday, the 1972 and 1973 Championships teams will be honored before first pitch. On Sunday, the 2008 and 2011 Championship teams will be honored throughout the game. All three matchups throughout the weekend can be seen on the ASU Live Stream or fans can follow along while following Stat Broadcast.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this week and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
• The Sun Devils are on an eight game winning streak that includes both home and away games.
• In their lat seven games the Sun Devils have hit 19 home runs.
• In their last six games ASU has outscored their opponents 49-4.
• Historically, ASU is 29-18 against the Beavers. The Sun Devils seek to avenge the 1-2 series lost from last season.
• Five out of the six more recent wins for the Sun Devils have ended in six innings or less.
• After hitting five home runs during the Sun Devil Classic, Yanni Acuna now leads the team in home runs with eight. The senior has also made it on base her last 10 at bats.
• Junior pitcher Lindsay Lopez not only leads the team with a sub one ERA but also only has one loss on the season.
• Freshman Cyd Sanders leads the Sun Devils in RBIs with 27 on the season. She is also second on the team in home runs with seven. The freshman has also made it on base consecutively her last 14 at bats.
• On the season senior pitcher Marissa Schuld has struck out 65 batters and has only walked two.