Buffaloes Drop Match To Stanford
STANFORD – The Colorado women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 match to No.24-ranked Stanford here Friday afternoon.
The Buffaloes (5-9, 0-5 Pac-12) lost all of its sets until Megan Forster was able to pick up a comeback win against Stanford (8-2, 2-0 Pac-12) in the No.4 singles match.
Forster fell in a tiebreak in the first set to India Houghton 7(8)-6, battling closely the entire set. She took that and steamrolled through the second set with a huge 6-1 victory. With the match already decided and all other matches concluded, Forster picked up a crucial win in a prostyle tiebreak third set 10 points to six.
The team started out the day battling in doubles where the No.2 duo of Antonia Balzert and Ky Ecton fell 6-0 and the No.3 duo of Forster and Mila Stanojevic fell next by the same score. Maria Campos and Caroline Pozo held off elimination from the No.7-ranked tandem in the nation in Angelica Blake and Connie Ma but were down 4-1.
Pozo fought to a close 7-5 first set loss to No.14 Alexandra Yepifanova but fell in the second set 6-0 for the second team point. The third point came from No.11 Ma against Balzert by a score of 6-1, 6-2. The clinching point came in the No.3 singles match as Campos fell to Blake 6-4, 6-2.
The final two matches after the team score was decided came with Stanojevic falling to No.86 Valencia Xu 6-3, 6-1 and Betina Tokac falling in the No.6 match 6-1, 7-5.
Colorado heads across the Bay to Berkeley to face No.14 Cal Sunday at noon MT. Last year the Buffs upset the Bears when they were ranked No.12 in the nation in Boulder.
No. 24 Stanford 6, Colorado 1
1) No. 7 Blake/Ma (STAN) led Campos/Pozo (COL) 4-1 uf
2) Xu/Yepifanova (STAN) d. Balzert/Ky Ecton (COL), 6-0
3) Ana Geller/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) d. Forster/Stanojevic (COL), 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) No. 11 Connie Ma (STAN) d. Antonia Balzert (COL), 6-1, 6-2
2) No. 14 Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Caroline Pozo (COL), 7-5, 6-0
3) Angelica Blake (STAN) d. Maria Campos (COL), 6-4, 6-2
4) Megan Forster (COL) d. India Houghton (STAN), 6-7 (8), 6-1, 1-0 (6)
5) No. 86 Valencia Xu (STAN) d. Mila Stanojevic (COL), 6-3, 6-1
6) Sara Choy (STAN) d. Betina Tokac (COL), 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 6, 5, 4