Cal Set For Six Matches
BERKELEY – The 10th-ranked Cal beach volleyball team will continue its busy schedule with six matches in two days at the SLO Invitational in San Luis Obispo. Cal will take on Boise State, Southern Miss and No. 18 Pepperdine on Sunday, March 20. They will follow that with matches against No. 12 Cal Poly, Houston Baptist and Santa Clara on Monday. The match against Santa Clara will see Cal face off with former Golden Bear Alexia Inman, who played for Cal for four years and won 64 matches while wearing blue and gold.
NO. 10 CAL TRAVELS TO CAL POLY FOR SIX MATCHES
- Cal will travel south to face off with Boise State, Southern Miss and No. 15 Pepperdine on Sunday. That will be followed with Monday matchups vs. No. 11 Cal Poly, Houston Baptist and Santa Clara.
- Cal is 5-1 all-time vs. Boise State and has won the past five meetings in the series
- Cal will take on Southern Miss and Houston Baptist for the first time in program history.
- Cal is 1-1 all-time vs. Pepperdine, losing in 2019, but beating the Waves last year by a 4-1 scoreline.
- Cal is 5-2 all-time vs. Cal Poly, but the Mustangs have won two of the past three.
- Cal is 4-4 all-time vs. Santa Clara, but the Bears have won three straight in the series and haven't lost since 2016.
ENTERING 2022 RANKED 11TH
- Cal was picked 11th in the Preseason AVCA Preseason Poll, but the Bears moved up one spot to No. 10 after the first week of action and have stayed at 10th every week since.
- The top-12 ranking continues a streak of being ranked in the top 12 of every poll since April 23, 2018. The Bears have now spent 1416 consecutive days ranked in the top 12 of the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Bears have finished each of the past four seasons ranked in the top 12 of the final poll, including an 11th-place finish in the final poll of the 2021 season.
- The Bears were chosen eighth in the preseason Collegiate Beach Volleyball Preseason Committee Rankings.
- Cal will have a new look this year as Meagan Owusu returns to coach the team after spending the 2020 season on maternity leave and leaving the team for the 2021 season.
- Cal welcomes eight newcomers to the team for this year including four transfers: All-American Ana Costa (Stetson), Ashley Delgado (Tulane), Natalie Martin (LSU) and Lexi McKeown (FSU).
- Cal pairs that incoming experience with a talented group of freshmen: Ella Dreibholz, Alena Korobko, Ella Sears and Alex Young-Gomez. Dreibholz is only freshman to play the first three weekends of the year.
- Eight different players made debut during the 2021 season: Francesca Gettings, Katie Smoot, Maddie Sundholm, Kate Bierly, Brooke Buchner, Ava Mann, Maya Gessner and Grace Paulson.
For complete coverage of Cal beach volleyball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalBeachVB), Instagram (@CalBeachVB) and Facebook (/CalBeachVolleyball/).