Ducks Fall to Arizona in Pac-12 Home Opener
EUGENE, Ore. – After a tough doubles point, the Oregon women's tennis team won the first two singles matches against Arizona but ultimately suffered a 4-2 loss Friday afternoon in Eugene. With the result, the Ducks are now 8-5 overall with a 0-3 mark in conference play.
With the visitors up a match in doubles, the UO team of Sophie Luescher and Uxia Martinez Moral tied the opening point with a 6-4 victory in the top spot. All eyes turned to court three were Arizona pulled out a 7-5 victory to take the early 1-0 match lead.
Luescher continued her winning ways, taking down Salma Ziouti in straight sets—6-1, 6-2—in the No. 1 singles position. The win got Oregon on the match scoreboard. Fellow freshman Karin Young put UO on top with a 6-4, 6-4 victory on court five which gave the Ducks a 2-1 lead in the Pac-12 matchup.
Oregon had also taken the first set with Lillian Mould at No. 3 singles but Arizona's Kayla Wilkins rallied back for a three-set victory to even the match score at 2-all. The Ducks had dropped the first set on the remaining three courts but were back-and-forth in the late stages of the second.
Arizona (13-6, 2-3) went ahead 3-2 with a 6-3, 7-5 victory by Midori Castillo-Meza over Martinez Moral at No. 4 singles, and moments later the visitors clinched the match win with a 7-5, 7-6(5) win by Kirsten Prelle over Allison Mulville who fought off four match points in the second-set breaker before Arizona pulled through.
The match on court two was unfinished with Lexi Ryngler up a set and late in the second on the Ducks' Myah Petchey.
Arizona 4, Oregon 2
1. Luescher/Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Iglupas/Wilkins (ARZ) – 6-4
2. Prelle/Ziouti (ARZ) def. Petchey/Mulville (ORE) – 6-3
3. Castillo-Meza/Nevenhoven (ARZ) def. Mould/Young (ORE) – 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Salma Ziouti (ARZ) – 6-1, 6-2
2. Myah Petchey (ORE) vs Lexi Ryngler (ARZ) – 2-6, 5-6 [unfinished]
3. Kayla Wilkins (ARZ) def. Lillian Mould (ORE) – 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Midori Castillo-Meza (ARZ) def. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) – 6-3, 7-5
5. Karin Young (ORE) def. Khim Iglupas (ARZ) – 6-4, 6-4
6. Kirsten Prelle (ARZ) def. Allison Mulville (ORE) – 7-5, 7-6(5)
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 6
The Ducks return to their home courts Sunday, March 20, to face No. 25 Arizona State. First serve of the Pac-12 matchup is scheduled for 11 a.m. (PT) at the UO Student Tennis Center.
For more news and information about Oregon women's tennis, follow @OregonWTennis on Instagram and Twitter.