No.22 Sun Devils Open Conference Play with Win Over No. 24 Oregon State
Tempe, Ariz.- No. 22 Arizona State Sun Devils (20-5) defeated No. 24 Oregon State Beavers (22-5) in a top-25 match up to open up conference play at Farrington Stadium. In the 5-3 game one victory designated hitter Jazmyn Rollin nailed a grand slam in the first inning while freshman Mac Morgan pitched a complete game with three strike outs and 11 ground outs Friday.
Morgan allowed no walks on the night and picked up her team-leading tenth win of the season.
Rollin's grand slam is her seventh home run of the season and increases her slugging percentage to .750. Keen Sun Devil eyes were also at work today, as the they drew a season high eight walks.
?? WELCOME TO PAC-12 PLAY @JazzyRollin ????
— Sun Devil Softball (@ASUSoftball) March 19, 2022
How It Happened
ASU 5, OSU 3
Junior Alynah started us off with a single into center field. With two outs in the inning Jazmine Hill walked and Emily Cazares singled to load the bases for the Sun Devils. Up next to bat Jazmyn Rollin hit a grand slam on the second pitch she saw. The Sun Devils led 4-0 going into the second inning.
The second inning remained scoreless for both teams. The 4-0 lead followed the Sun Devils into the third.
With a runner at second a Beaver hitter hit a single into center to put OSU on the board making the score 4-1 Sun Devils.
To start the third freshman Cydney Sanders led off drawing a walk. Two more walks drawn by Rollin and Halle Harger loaded the bases for the Sun Devils with two outs in the inning. Catcher Jessica Puk also drew a walk bringing in one and making the ASU lead 5-1, which is how the inning ended.
No team scored in the fourth inning and the 5-1 Sun Devil lead went into the fifth.
In the top of the inning the Beavers hit a solo homer to make the score 5-2 ASU. With one out in the fifth Cazares walked and advanced to second on a fly out by Rollin, putting a runner in scoring position for ASU. Cazares was stranded at second to end the inning and the Sun Devils still held the lead 5-2.
OSU hit another solo home run in the top of the sixth but the Sun Devils still led 5-3 going into their half of the sixth. Puk walked to lead off followed by a sac bunt by pinch hitter Bella Loomis putting Puk in scoring position. Torres walked to put another Sun Devil on base but, both runners were stranded to end the sixth. The game ended in a 5-3 Sun Devil win.
The Sun Devils are back at it tomorrow, Saturday, March 19 at 4:00 p.m at Farrington Stadium in game two of the weekend series. All games this weekend will be broadcasted via ASU Live Stream.
On Today's Crowd
It's amazing anytime we can have a good crowd. It helps us out so much on the energy side of everything so whenever we can have a good crowd that's when we play at our best. We love the support and we love our fans.
On Mac's Performance
That kid is gonna be so good. She's just a freshman and she's out here acting like she's a fifth year senior right now. She's on fire right now and we're gonna have her back. I love to play behind her.
On Mac's First Pac-12 Start
Mac did a great job. She's a freshman starting her first Pac-12 game, a little baptism by fire, but I thought she did a tremendous job. She's a competitor and I think she's going to get better as she gets more opportunities.
On the Team's Energy
Everybody is trying to go hard for Pac-12. The team was locked in and ready to go for every single opportunity. We weren't going in there knowing we were going to get a hit. We expecting this pitcher to go hard and we got out there just as hard.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU Softball from this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
• The Sun Devils are on an eight game winning streak that includes both home and away games.
• In their lat seven games the Sun Devils have hit 19 home runs.
• In their last six games ASU has outscored their opponents 49-4.
• Historically, ASU is 29-18 against the Beavers. The Sun Devils seek to avenge the 1-2 series lost from last season.
• Five out of the six more recent wins for the Sun Devils have ended in six innings or less.
• After hitting five home runs during the Sun Devil Classic, Yanni Acuna now leads the team in home runs with eight. The senior has also made it on base her last 10 at bats.
• Junior pitcher Lindsay Lopez not only leads the team with a sub one ERA but also only has one loss on the season.
• Freshman Cyd Sanders leads the Sun Devils in RBIs with 27 on the season. She is also second on the team in home runs with seven. The freshman has also made it on base consecutively her last 14 at bats.
• On the season senior pitcher Marissa Schuld has struck out 65 batters and has only walked two.
Game 1: Friday 3/18 6:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream (Won, 5-3)
Game 2: Saturday 3/19 4:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream
Game 3: Sunday 3/20 1:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream