Two Wins to Open SJSU Tournament
SAN JOSE, Calif. – The Oregon beach volleyball team recorded a pair of wins on day one of the San Jose State round-robin tournament. The Ducks opened the day with a 3-2 win over Sacramento State before sweeping past San Francisco, 5-0, in the team's second match.
With Friday's victories, Oregon improves to 7-2 this season. The Ducks return to Spartan Beach for day two beginning with a matchup against host San Jose State at 9 a.m. (PT) followed by a weekend finale against Saint Mary's (Calif.) at 12 p.m.
In the opener, Oregon started out with a 1-0 lead with San Francisco only fielding four pairs. The Dons jumped out to the advantage with wins on courts three and four. However, the Ducks' top-two teams responded with straight-set wins of their own to cap the 3-2 match win.
Back from the U.S. Women's National Team Spring Training Camp, Brooke Nuneviller was paired with Daley McClellan and the duo produced a 21-17, 21-9 victory at the top of the lineup. In the No. 2 spot, Reagan Hope and Madelyn LaFollette—winners at 21-17, 21-19—clinched the match.
Oregon 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Brooke Nuneviller/Daley McClellan (ORE) def. Macey Hayden/Kalani Hayes (SAC) 21-17, 21-9
2. Reagan Hope/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) def. Caitlin Volkmann/Bridgette Smith (SAC) 21-17, 21-19
3. Ashtin Olin/McKenna Smith (SAC) def. Ella Tyus/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-16, 21-13
4. Caty Cordano/Karlee Soderberg (SAC) def. Alex Laita/Batia Rothstein (ORE) 21-17, 21-14
Order of finish: Doubles (4,3,1,2)
Head coach Jason Dillard shuffled the lineup for the Ducks' second match and the team came through with a sweep of San Francisco. Batia Rotshtein and Ashley Schroeder started the scoring with a straight-set win on court four, followed with a win at No. 5 by Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist in their first of the day.
Haden and Siegrist are 7-1 this season, and have won five in a row.
Alex Laita and Bea Wetton clinched the team win with a 21-12, 21-9 triumph in the No. 3 spot. Oregon finished off the sweep with wins on courts one and two. McClellan and LaFollette, now paired, cruised to a 21-7, 21-7 in the No. 2 spot in the lineup. At No. 1 pairs, Hope and Nuneviller improved to 5-0 as a team this season with a three-set win.
The Ducks also picked up a win in exhibition play with Dahlia McAllister and Ella Tyus coming through in straight sets against the Dons' duo of Serafina Rivera and Katie Wagstaff.
Oregon 5, San Francisco 0
1. Brooke Nuneviller/Reagan Hope (ORE) def. Orsula Staka/Letizia Aquilino (USF) 21-14, 17-21, 15-4
2. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (ORE) def. Lana Kutakhina/Tanner Pemberton (USF) 21-7, 21-7
3. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Sophie Sydenham/Jessica Eanes (USF) 21-12, 21-9
4. Batia Rothstein/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) def. Shyia Richardson/Sara Denham (USF) 21-8, 21-16
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Francesca Stanschus/Bruna Correa (USF) 21-8, 21-16
*6. Ella Tyus/Dahlia McAllister (ORE) def. Katie Wagstaff/Serafina Rivera (USF) 28-26, 21-11
Order of finish: Doubles (4,5,3,2,1) | * - non-counting match
For more news and information about Oregon cross country and track and field, follow @OregonTF on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.