Ducks Suffer Pair of 3-2 Losses in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. – The Oregon beach volleyball team lost a pair of 3-2 setbacks on day two of the San Jose State round-robin tournament. With the losses, the Ducks are now 7-4 this season.
In the opener, the teams split the first two decisions of the day. San Jose State took the early 1-0 lead with a win on court four but the Ducks pulled even at 1-all when Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist got the 21-18, 23-21 victory at the No. 5 spot.
Haden and Siegrist continue to provide stability at the bottom of the UO lineup with an 8-1 record this season and having won their last six.
Oregon took a 2-1 lead over the Spartans with a straight-set win by Alex Laita and Bea Wetton at No. 3 pairs. However, San Jose State rallied to win the last two matches including a three setter on court two to clinch the team win. In that match, Daley McClellan and Madelyn LaFollette dropped the first set but forced a third before the SJSU pair of Madeline Boerstra and Sarah Smevog posted a 15-12 tally in the decisive set.
San Jose State 3, Oregon 2
1. Haylee Nelson/Jaida Ward (SJSU) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) 21-18, 21-14
2. Madeline Boerstra/Sarah Smevog (SJSU) def. Daley McClellan/Madelyn Lafollette (ORE) 21-18, 16-21, 15-12
3. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Siena Brewster/Abby Alvarez (SJSU) 22-20, 21-18
4. Mia Schafer/Chloe Culver (SJSU) def. Batia Rothstein/Ella Tyus (ORE) 21-13, 21-18
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Letizia Cammillucci/Allison Pereira (SJSU) 21-18, 23-21
*6. Cheyenne Rice/Alyssa Sugai (SJSU) def. Dahlia McAllister/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-14, 21-19
The Ducks suffered a similar fate in their second match of the day, dropping the decisive pairs in a 3-2 loss to Saint Mary's. Laita and Wetton rallied from a set down at the No. 3 spot to secure a three-set victory and finish the day 2-0 for Oregon.
Saint Mary's 3, Oregon 2
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) def. Chandler Cowell/Selbie Christensen (SMC) 21-12, 21-16
2. Jasmin Suarez/Jennifer Laird (SMC) def. Madelyn Lafollette/Daley McClellan (ORE) 21-11, 21-13
3. Bea Wetton/Alex Laita (ORE) def. Makenna Joyce/Karmin Brown (SMC) 16-21, 21-18, 15-12
4. Hawley Harrer/Aeriel Sundt (SMC) def. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) 21-19, 21-18
5. Genevieve Bane/Ella Sandt (SMC) def. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) 15-21, 28-26, 15-8
*6. Ashley Schroeder/Dahlia McAllister (ORE) vs Megan Chandler/Trinity Durfee (SMC) 18-21, 21-16, unf.
Next weekend, the Ducks travel to the Pac-12 South Tournament in Tucson, Ariz., for their first taste of conference play of the season. Oregon is slated to face Stanford, Washington, Cal and Utah during the two-day event.
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.