Colorado Falls In Sweep To Cal
BERKELEY – The University of Colorado women's tennis team dropped its fifth-straight match by a score of 7-0 to No.13-ranked Cal here Sunday afternoon.
The Buffaloes (5-10, 0-6 Pac-12) remain winless in conference but saw a good match out of Betina Tokac as she took her match against Cal (9-5, 3-0 Pac-12) to three sets.
Tokac was the only Buff to capture a set victory today, doing so in the No.6 singles match against Erin Richardson. Tokac took the first set with ease at 6-2 but fell in the second set by the same score. The match was already decided by the time the second set was finished, so the two played a prostyle tiebreaker to 10 points. The two battled closely, but ultimately Richardson took the set and match with a score of 10-8.
The afternoon began with Colorado falling 6-0 in the No.2 doubles match and 6-2 in the No.3 doubles match to loss the point. The No.1 doubles match had Caroline Pozo and Maria Campos down 5-2 to the No.47-ranked tandem when the point was decided.
Following the doubles loss, Colorado dropped four of the first sets by a score of 6-2 or less. The closest first set besides Tokac's win was Pozo in the No.2 singles position against No.53-ranked Jessica Alsola. That was the next closest match for CU, but Pozo fell 6-4, 6-3 to the top-ranked player for the Golden Bears.
The only other set to get to 6-3 was Antonia Balzert in the No.1 singles match against No.103 Haley Giavara. After dropping the first set 6-1, Balzert battled hard but fell 6-3. That match ended up being the clinching match after Megan Forster fell 6-0, 6-1 in the No.4 singles match and Maria Campos fell 6-1, 6-2 in the No.3 singles match.
Colorado returns to action this Wednesday in a match that was recently added to the schedule. The Buffs will travel north up to Laramie to take on Wyoming at noon, which is the only match on the schedule between now and April 3rd when CU returns home to take on Oregon.
#13 California 7, Colorado 0
1. #103 Haley Giavara (CAL) def. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-1, 6-3
2. #53 Jessica Alsola (CAL) def. Caroline Pozo (COLO) 6-4, 6-3
3. #107 Katja Wiersholm (CAL) def. Maria Campos (COLO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Megan Forster (COLO) 6-0, 6-1
5. Hannah V. Moeller (CAL) def. Mila Stanojevic (COLO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Erin Richardson (CAL) def. Betina Tokac (COLO) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
1. #47 Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (CAL) vs. Caroline Pozo/Maria Campos (COLO) 5-2, unfinished
2. Haley Giavara/Hannah V. Moeller (CAL) def. Antonia Balzert/Ky Ecton (COLO) 6-0
3. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Megan Forster/Mila Stanojevic (COLO) 6-2
Colorado 5-10, 0-6 Pac-12
California 9-5, 3-0 Pac-12; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,1,6,5,2)