Cal Starts Homestand Against Cal Poly
BERKELEY – California will open a five-game homestand against Cal Poly at 3 p.m. PDT on Tuesday at the recently renamed Stu Gordon Stadium. The non-conference contest will be live streamed via Pac-12 Plus.
Cal (10-9) got back above .500 overall with its first series win at USC since 2014 last weekend. The visiting Mustangs (10-9) swept CSUN in their first weekend of Big West play but lost four of their previous six games. Tuesday's clash is the first of two meetings between Cal and Cal Poly this season; they'll play again on April 5 in Berkeley. The two programs have not faced one another since 2019 when Cal swept a three-game series in San Luis Obispo in February.
Fans attending games at Evans Diamond are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings in outdoor areas. Facial coverings are required at all times in indoor spaces (i.e., restrooms) for guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks will be available at entrances for fans upon request.
- Matchup: Cal (10-9) vs. Cal Poly (10-9)
- Location: Evans Diamond at Stu Gordon Stadium | Berkeley, Calif.
- First Pitch: Tuesday, 3 p.m. PDT
- Watch: Pac-12 Plus (PxP: Ben Ross)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Probable Pitchers: RHP Connor Sullivan vs. LHP Noah Larkin
- Cal is 44-13 all-time against Cal Poly and has won five in a row in the head-to-head series, most recently including a series sweep in San Luis Obispo on Feb. 22-24, 2019.
- Sophomore Connor Sullivan (0-0, 6.00 ERA) will make his first start as a Golden Bear on the mound Tuesday. Sullivan has worked 9.0 innings in four relief appearances so far this season and has been effective outside of a difficult outing against then-No. 16 Arizona on March 13. Sullivan transferred to Cal from the College of San Mateo.
- Cal is 2-1 in midweek games, sandwiching a home loss to Santa Clara (March 8) with wins against then-No. 23 Sacramento State (6-2, March 1) and at San José State (17-5, March 15).
- Cal has played 11 of 19 games against nationally-ranked opponents so far and is 6-5 in such games, most recently including a series victory at then-No. 25 USC last weekend. The Bears will host sixth-ranked Oregon State in Pac-12 play this weekend.
- Cal exploded to a 17-5 win at San José State in its last midweek game last Tuesday. The Bears posted season highs in runs (17), hits (18), extra base hits (8) and strikeouts on the mound (16).
- Preseason All-American Dylan Beavers is heating up, batting .353 (6-for-17) with two home runs, five RBI, seven runs scored & three stolen bases in four games last week. Beavers is second in the Pac-12 with seven home runs.
- While Cal continues to tinker with its bullpen (Cal relievers own a collective 5.70 ERA), senior Nick Proctor has been as reliable as it gets. Proctor earned a win and a save in Cal's series win at #25 USC last weekend and has not allowed a run in eight of his nine appearances this season while working a 2.19 ERA and .233 average against.
- Keshawn Ogans is batting .410 (16-for-39) during his current nine-game hitting streak dating back to March 6. He elevated his season average to a team-leading .346 with a nine-hit weekend at USC where he batted .529 (9-for-17) and had three multi-hit efforts.
- The Bears will play just their second game at the newly renamed Stu Gordon Stadium on Tuesday, after unveiling the name on March 13 against Arizona. The ballpark now carries the name of longtime supporter of Cal baseball Stu Gordon, who has donated $6.3 million in total to the program. The full name of the ballpark is Evans Diamond at Stu Gordon Stadium.