Six-Game Home Stand Begins Tuesday vs. Northern Colorado
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (11-7-1 overall, 2-4 Pac-12) vs. Northern Colorado (6-14 overall, 3-0 Summit League)
Tuesday, March 22 // 6 p.m. MT
Wednesday, March 23 // 4 p.m. MT
|Salt Lake City, Utah (Smith's Ballpark)
|Buy Tickets // Or call (801) 581-UTIX (8849)
|Tuesday: Greek Night // Play "Name That Tune" for a chance to win a doTERRA prize pack
Tuesday // Wednesday
|Utah Live Stream
|Tuesday: ESPN 700 AM // Listen Live
|Utah Game Notes
|@UtahBaseball Social Media
|Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes
The First Pitch: Things to Know
- A six-game home stand kicks off for Utah on Tuesday night as the Utes return to Smith's Ballpark. The stretch begins with a two-game series against Summit League foe Northern Colorado (March 22-23), before the ballclub welcomes Mercer this weekend (March 25-27) for a three-game non-conference series.
- Both contests vs. Northern Colorado will be live streamed by Utah, with Tuesday's opener also available on ESPN 700 Radio.
- The Utes are looking to extend a seven-game winning streak vs. UNC which dates to April 1992. Most recently, Utah swept a three-game set in May 2021 by a combined score of 31-15. Matt Richardson hit .545 in that series late in the season with three doubles and a team-leading seven RBI, while Randon Hostert and Matthew Sox each picked up wins on the mound. Hostert went 5.2 innings in a Saturday start, recording a career-high nine strikeouts.
Recap in a Minute
- Utah is aiming to bounce back from a tough week in which the Utes fell to BYU at home, before being dealt a sweep on the road against a talented Oregon club. The Utes led in the early innings of the first two games, but Oregon would ultimately string together a stretch of big innings to take the series at PK Park in Eugene.
- TJ Clarkson clubbed his fourth home run of the season during the Friday night opener, highlighting a three-run second inning for the visitors. Matt Richardson added an RBI double later in the frame and Dakota Duffalo singled as well to drive in a run. But the Ducks answered and later batted around in the fifth inning en route to a five-spot.
- The long-ball pattern continued on Saturday, seeing Chase Anderson hit his first homer as a Ute with a two-run shot in the seventh inning. Anderson initially found himself down 0-2 in the count, before working it full and sending the payoff pitch over the left-center field wall.
- Anderson continues to shine defensively at third base, and came up with several highlight-reel plays at the hot corner Saturday night and through the entire weekend. His physical play took away multiple hits from Oregon, and he also came up with a beautiful running catch in foul territory during the sixth inning of Friday's game.
- Clarkson extended his team-best reached base streak (17 games) in Sunday's finale, which saw Utah rally back from an early 2-0 deficit. However that would be all for the visitors as Oregon put up the next five runs to seal the series sweep.
#UteNotes to start your Monday...@ClarksonTj has reached base safely in 1??7?? consecutive games. Longest active streak by a Ute, and tied for sixth-longest in the @pac12 #GoUtes pic.twitter.com/Eh8eP2ytNp
— Utah Baseball (@utahbaseball) March 21, 2022
— Utah Baseball (@utahbaseball) March 20, 2022