Utah Football Spring Camp Set To Start March 22
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Football is back! Coming off what was a historic 2021 season, the University of Utah Football program is set to hit the gridiron on Tuesday, March 22 for the first day of spring camp.
Spring camp will run from March 22-April 23 with the Utes looking to continue the momentum they gained last season through 15 practices this spring. Spring camp will culminate on Saturday, April 23 with Utah's annual Spring Game, kicking off at 12 p.m. MT in Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Mark your calendars for April 23rd!
All proceeds from ticket sales, which go on sale in March, will go to the Aaron Lowe and Ty Jordan Memorial Scholarship funds.
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) February 18, 2022
SPRING GAME TICKETS
Tickets for the spring game will be available to Crimson Club members during a presale until March 23 and will open to the public on March 25 at 10 a.m. MT. All funds raised through ticket sales from the spring game will go to the Ty Jordan Memorial Scholarship and the Aaron Lowe Memorial Scholarship.
Chairs: $22 for two tickets
Bleachers: $22 for four tickets
Fans can call or text the Utah Ticket office at 801-581-8849 or visit www.UtahTickets.com for more information.
THE UTAH MAN
Head coach Kyle Whittingham is set to enter his 18th season at the helm in 2022 and his 29th overall, making him the longest-tenured coach in the Pac-12 Conference. He holds an overall record of 144-70, making him the all-time winningest coach in Utah history.
- With his 11 seasons as a Ute assistant in addition to his time as the head coach, he has contributed to more victories (229) than any coach in program history.
- He has coached in 339 games at Utah, including 214 as head coach.
- Utah has finished with a winning record in 15 of his 17 years as head coach, including in eight straight.
- Utah has ended the season ranked No. 11 in the CFP Poll twice (2019, 2021), its highest-ever final CFP rank.
- Under Whittingham, Utah was 8-1 in conference play in both 2019 and 2021, the most conference wins in a season by the Utes since joining the league.
- Whittingham has had 30 players make All-America teams, including 17 that have earned first-team honors from those that make up the NCAA's consensus team. Utah has also had 99 first-team all-conference selections under Whittingham.
Highest graded QBs in Bowl Games this season:
?? Cameron Rising (Utah) - 93.9
?? CJ Stroud (Ohio State) - 93.0 pic.twitter.com/p6ICy1WYLv
— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) January 4, 2022
Utah will return 60 letter winners in 2022, which includes 17 total starters. The Utes bring back eight starters on offense, six on defense and all three specialists to the field this season.
- 2021 All-Pac-12 returnees include Cameron Rising (QB, 1st Team), Tavion Thomas (RB, 1st Team), Braeden Daniels (OL, 2nd Team), Brant Kuithe (TE, 2nd Team), Clark Phillips III (CB, 2nd Team), Cole Bishop (S, HM), Dalton Kincaid (TE, HM) and Sataoa Laumea (OL, HM).
- Utah also returns the 2021 Pac-12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year in Junior Tafuna (DT).
- Out of the 6,035 yards of total offense produced in 2021, Utah will return 4,379 (73%) in 2022 including the tight end tandem of Kuithe and Kincaid who accounted for close to 40% of Utah's receiving yards production.
The 2021 #TNT position group finished the season with a combined 102 receptions for 1,255 yards and scored 15 TD's. They also blocked for the #2 offense in FBS in yards per rush (5.57). @Utah_Football is #TEU #13Personnel pic.twitter.com/3llM8JWIsF
— Fred Whittingham Jr. (@FWhittinghamJr) January 22, 2022
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
The team picked 2022 spring captains in February, naming Cameron Rising, Brant Kuithe, Devin Kaufusi, Clark Phillips III and Jadon Redding as its five leaders during camp.
- The coaching staff also picked the 2022 spring leadership council: Bryson Barnes (QB), Micah Bernard (RB), Cole Bishop (S), Braeden Daniels (OL), Solomon Enis (WR), R.J. Hubert (S), Devin Kaufusi (DT), Dalton Kincaid (TE), Brant Kuithe (TE), Paul Maile (OL), Andrew Mata'afa (LB), Clark Phillips III (CB), Karene Reid (LB), Cameron Rising (QB), Miki Suguturaga (DE) and Tavion Thomas (RB).
Let's hear it for our spring 2022 leadership council ??@bryson_barnes10 @ctb_mb @Cole_bishop_8 @B_Daniels71 @SolomonEnis @devskaufusi @_DaltonKincaid @Brantkuithe14 @andrew_mataafa @ClarkPhillips21 @crising7 @thiagoothomas9 pic.twitter.com/PPyiIAHOwO
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) February 3, 2022
Utah will welcome 25 newcomers to the field this spring, which includes scholarship, transfers and walk-ons all looking to make an immediate impact on the program.
- Utah added a total of 21 players on signing day, including two four-star recruits and 17 three-stars.
- Newcomers from the initial 2022 signing class joining the Utes this spring are Lander Barton (LB), Jaylon Glover (RB), Tyler Knaak (OL), Justin Medlock (LB), Landon Morris (TE), Ryan Peppins (5), Brandon Rose (QB), Carson Tabaracci (LB) and Sione Vaki (S).
- Utah also added several FBS transfers, including Florida linebacker Mohamoud Diabate. The 6-4, 220-pound linebacker played in 37 games at Florida from 2019-21 with 17 starts, recording 176 tackles (14.0 TFL, 6.0 sacks).
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) February 3, 2022
Utah made two new additions to its coaching staff during the offseason in defensive tackles coach Luther Elliss and running backs coach Quinton Ganther.
- Elliss comes to Utah after spending the last five seasons at the University of Idaho as the defensive line coach. He was a consensus All-American for Utah during his playing days, also earning WAC Defensive Player of the Year in 1994 before becoming a two-time Pro Bowl selection in the NFL.
- Ganther, another alum of the Utah Football program, spent the last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the offensive quality control coach after coaching the Weber State running backs from 2013-20. He was a two-time All-MWC selection at Utah and was a part of the Fiesta Bowl winning Utah team in 2004.
COMING FALL 2022
Looking to capatilize on the 2021 season, Utah Football will have another full 12-game slate in 2022, including six home games in Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah will begin the season in The Swamp on Saturday, Sept. 3 when they take on the Florida Gators in Gainesville. The Utes will also host Southern Utah for their home opener on Saturday, Sept. 10. For a look at the full 2022 schedule, click here.