Buffaloes Bounce Back With Sweep Over Wyoming
LARAMIE – The Colorado women's tennis team swept Wyoming, 4-0, to snap a five-match losing streak here Wednesday afternoon.
The Buffs (6-10, 0-6 Pac-12) picked up their first doubles point in eight matches to topple Wyoming (6-7) from the start.
The doubles point was closely fought throughout, but in the end No.2 doubles team Ky Ecton and Mila Stanojevic took down Sophie Zehender and Ana Fernandez 7-5 and No.3 doubles team Betina Tokac and Ellen Puzak clinched it with a 7-5 win against Mihaela Kaftanova and Lucia Malinak. Maria Campos and Caroline Pozo were in a tiebreak set at 6-6 when the doubles point was clinched.
With the first point in hand, the top three Buffs went to work. Stanojevic won the first set against Fernandez in the No.3 singles match 7(4)-6 while Forster and Balzert dropped their first sets in the No.2 and No.1 singles matches, respectfully.
Heading into the second sets, Balzert and Forster rallied back to tie up the matches, while Stanojevic fell in the second in her match against Fernandez. With all three matches heading to a third set, Forster was the first to complete the comeback, defeating Maria Oreshkina 2-6, 6-3, 6-2. Stanojevic picked up the next match with a 7(4)-6, 4-6, 6-4 win over Fernandez.
The final match of the day came down to Balzert against Zehender in the No.1 singles match. After trading sets, Balzert won a toughly fought tiebreaker, taking the third set with an 11-9 win in the tiebreak for a final score of 1-6, 6-4, 7(9)-6.
The remaining matches went unfinished with Betina Tokac down 6-4, 6-7(2), 5-3 to Malinak in the No.4 singles match and Ecton just beginning her match against Ida Krause with a score of 2-1.
The Buffaloes have an 11-day break before hosting Oregon on April 3. That match will begin at 11 a.m. if it is outdoors and at 10 a.m. if it is moved to the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center.
Colorado 4, Wyoming 0
1. Antonia Balzert (COLO) def. Zehender, Sophie (WYO) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
2. Megan Forster (COLO) def. Oreshkina, Maria (WYO) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Mila Stanojevic (COLO) def. Fernandez, Ana (WYO) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-4
4. Malinak, Lucia (WYO) vs. Betina Tokac (COLO) 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 5-3, unfinished
5. Krause, Ida (WYO) vs. Ky Ecton (COLO) 2-1, unfinished
6. Kaftanova, Mihaela (WYO) vs. Ellen Puzak (COLO) unfinished
1. Krause, Ida/Oreshkina, Maria (WYO) vs. Maria Campos/Caroline Pozo (COLO) 6-6, unfinished
2. Ky Ecton/Mila Stanojevic (COLO) def. Fernandez, Ana/Zehender, Sophie (WYO) 7-5
3. Betina Tokac/Ellen Puzak (COLO) def. Kaftanova, Mihaela/Malinak, Lucia (WYO) 7-5
Colorado 6-10, 0-6 Pac-12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,3,1)