Oregon Defeats Nebraska 4-3
LINCOLN, Neb. – Oregon men's tennis came back from 3-1 down today to defeat Nebraska 4-3 in Lincoln. The Ducks move to 9-6 on the season.
How it Happened: The doubles teams for the Ducks continued their strong play and gave Oregon a 1-0 lead after Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele def. Victor Moreno Lozano/Nic Wiedenhorn 7-6 (7-1) and Luke Vandecasteele/Ryoma Matsushita def. Calvin Mueller/Patrick Cacciatore 7-5. The No. 25 ranked doubles team of Charlton and Q. Vandecasteele improved to 10-2 in the dual season.
Nebraska quickly made up ground and took the first two singles matches in a hurry on courts two and six. The Cornhuskers got their third point of the match from court four, leaving the Ducks down 3-1, needing to win the remaining singles matches.
Luke Vandecasteele picked up a huge second point for Oregon, winning a tight one over William Gleason, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3). Ivailo Keremedchiev was big for the Ducks on court three, winning consecutive sets after dropping the first, finishing with a 1-6, 6-4, 6-0 victory.
The fourth and deciding point again came down to Charlton. Oregon's No. 1 took the first set 6-3 and dropped the second 3-6. Trailing 5-4 in the third, Charlton bounced back and came out on top 7-5.
Oregon 4, Nebraska 3
1. #79 Joshua Charlton (UO) def. Calvin Mueller (NEB) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. Dario Huber (NEB) def. Quinn Vandecasteele (UO) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ivailo Keremedchiev (UO) def. Shunya Maruyama (NEB) 1-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Roni Hietaranta (NEB) def. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (UO) 6-4, 6-3
5. Luke Vandecasteele (UO) def. William Gleason (NEB) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3)
6. Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB) def. Ryoma Matsushita (UO) 6-2, 6-4
1. #25 Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (UO) def. Victor Moreno Lozano/Nic Wiedenhorn (NEB) 7-6 (7-1)
2. Dario Huber/Shunya Maruyama (NEB) def. Yousseff Kadiri/Ivailo Keremedchiev (UO) 6-4
3. Luke Vandecasteele/Ryoma Matsushita (UO) def. Calvin Mueller/Patrick Cacciatore (NEB) 7-5
Oregon 9-6; National ranking #44
Nebraska 4-11; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,6,4,3,5,1)
Up Next: The Ducks stay on the road and face Utah on Friday, March 25 at 11 a.m. PT.