Cal Sees Win Streak Snapped At UCLA
LOS ANGELES – The No. 27 California men's tennis team fell to 59th-ranked UCLA, 4-1, on Friday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Golden Bears saw their seven-match winning streak snapped by the Bruins, who evened the season series with Cal at 1-1.
The Bears defeated the Bruins, 4-0, on Feb. 5 in Berkeley.
Cal's record now stands at 10-4 (1-1 Pac-12), while UCLA is 5-7 (1-0 Pac-12).
The Bears looked good early. Alex Chang and Philip Hjorth combined to beat the Bruins' Eric Hahn and Max Wild, 6-0, at court-three doubles. Cal's 28th-ranked duo of Yuta Kikuchi and Carl Emil Overbeck topped Giacomo Revelli and Patrick Zahraj, 6-3, on court one to clinch the doubles point.
But singles were problematic for the Bears. On court three, UCLA's Revelli defeated Sean Hill, 6-1, 6-3, to tie the match at 1-1, and then the 38th-ranked Alexander Hoogmartens beat Cal's 102nd-ranked Kikuchi, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, on court one to give UCLA a 2-1 lead.
On court six, Cal's Lucas Magnaudet lost to Stefan Leustian, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, and then UCLA clinched its win on court four, with Karl Lee defeating Cal's Carl Emil Overbeck, 6-3, 5-7, 7-5.
"We were really happy with doubles," said Kris Kwinta, Cal's Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. "We played well right from the start and never let them back in the matches. We had control and momentum was on our side. I preached to the guys to not let off.
"Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We fell behind right away on four courts and lost the momentum gained after doubles. We clawed our way back in, and most of the matches were super competitive. But once you dig yourself a big hole it's hard to come back against a classy team like UCLA. We have to work on a quicker start in singles.
"We're excited to have a chance tomorrow to redeem ourselves against another good team. Everybody's pumped to play tomorrow."
The Bears next play at No. 15 USC on Saturday at 1 p.m.
No. 59 UCLA (5-7, 1-0 Pac-12) def. No. 27 California (10-4, 1-1 Pac-12), 4-1
March 25, 2022, in Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. No. 28 Yuta Kikuchi/Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA), 6-3*
2. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) vs. No. 69 Alexander Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA), 5-2 (Unfinished)
3. Alex Chang/Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Eric Hahn/Max Wild (UCLA), 6-0
Order of Finish – 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 38 Alexander Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. No. 102 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) vs. Philip Hjorth (Cal), 6-7(5), 6-2, 3-2 (Unfinished)
3. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Sean Hill (Cal), 6-1, 6-3
4. Karl Lee (UCLA) def. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 6-3, 5-7, 7-5
5. Eric Hahn (UCLA) vs. Derrick Chen (Cal), 6-2, 5-7, 3-3 (Unfinished)
6. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
Order of Finish – 3, 1, 6, 4^
^Clinched the overall match