Rivalry Weekend - No. 20 Softball Heads to Tucson
TUCSON, Ariz.- No. 20 Arizona State softball (22-5, 3-0 Pac-12) will travel to Tucson to take on No. 17 Arizona (19-7, 0-3 Pac-12) in its first away conference series of the 2022 season. The series will include three games, beginning Friday, March 25 at 6 p.m. on Pac-12 Arizona.
The next two games will be played Saturday, March 26 at 5 p.m. and Sunday, March 27 at 2 p.m., where they will be broadcasted on the Pac-12 Network.
The Sun Devils are on a 11-game winning streak after picking up the home series sweep over Oregon State over the weekend, where the final game on Sunday was won in extra innings from a home run by graduate Bella Loomis. Additionally, ASU run-ruled the Beavers 9-1 after six innings on Saturday night, and freshman pitcher Mac Morgan picked up her team-leading 11th win of the season Friday in the series opener. Sun Devil softball has not lost a game since March 5 during the Judi Garman Classic, where the win streak began on the final day of the classic.
Eight home runs were hit over the weekend for the hot bat Sun Devils as senior catcher Jessica Puk, as well as Loomis, picked up their first home runs of the season to pick up the extra innings win on Sunday. Friday's conference opener saw first time Pac-12 player, senior, Jazmyn Rollin in the designated hitter spot hitting a grand slam to make it 4-0 ASU in the first inning, to increase her slugging percentage to .784 by the end of the series.
Pitching for ASU as well as against its opponents was another highlight of the first conference series as the team drew a season high eight walks on Friday night while Morgan did not walk anyone on her end. For the season, the Sun Devil pitching staff has had 35 walks in contrast to the 98 walks drawn from opponents.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
- The Sun Devils are on a 11-game winning streak, which includes sweeps over Oregon State to open conference play and all games in the Sun Devil Classic and two final wins on the road at the Judi Garman Classic.
- Last season, the Sun Devils faced that team down south in a four game series at Farrington Stadium in April where they took a series win over Arizona as they won three of those four games.
- Jazmyn Rollin, freshman Cydney Sanders and senior Yannira Acuña each have eight home runs this season for ASU, good for a tie for sixth in the conference.
- Mac Morgan's ERA of 1.40 is good for sixth in the conference as she currently leads the team with 11 wins this season.
- In the circle, senior Marissa Schuld not only leads the Sun Devils with a 1.32 ERA, but also has struck out 71 batters while walking just three.
- Yanni Acuña was recognized by D1 Softball as the Week 5 No. 5 Outfielder in the country with a .492 BA, 1.648 OPS, 9 2B, 1 3B, 8 HR, 24 RBI, 25 R, 13 BB, 1.000 FLD%
- Acuña's batting average ranks 16th overall in the country.