Celera Barnes Wins 100m, Women’s 4x800m Relay Sets USC Record At Texas Relays
Celera Barnes won the women's 100m, the women's 4x800m relay set a school record and Earnest Sears III matched his all-time outdoor best in the men's high jump during the final day of the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike A. Myers Track & Soccer Stadium in Austin, Texas today (March 26).
- Celera Barnes blazed to victory in the women's 100m final with a wind-aided PR of 10.82 (+2.8w). Her time ranks fifth all-time in any condition by an NCAA athlete. Samirah Moody took third also with a windy PR of 11.08 (+2.8w). That compared well to the 100m Invitational winner, Olympian Gabrielle Thomas, who ran 10.92 (+2.9w).
- The Trojans got the day off in style with the women's 4x800m relay team of Janiah Brown, Gigi Maccagnini, Jemima Russell and Alyssa Brewer running a school record of 8:38.89 to place third. Brewer had an anchor leg time of 2:06.02. The previous record for USC was 8:45.24 set in 1987 by Michelle Taylor, Julie Seleine, Elise Lyon and Lesley Noll.
- Earnest Sears III tied his career best outdoor high jump mark of 7-5.25 (2.27m) to take third place in the men's high jump section A. He matched his 7-5.25 mark which ranks tied for third on USC's all-time list. He achieved that at the 2019 Pac-12 Championships.
- Omotade Ojora took third in the men's 110m hurdles final with a wind-aided time of 13.52 (+2.6w).
- Jasmine Jones had a wind-aided time of 12.85 (+2.5w) to place fourth in the women's 100m hurdles.
- Karlee Freeman took fifth in the women's discus throw section A with a best mark of 174-5 (53.17).
- The men's 4x400m relay team of Johnnie Blockburger, Nicholas Ramey, Zach Shinnick and Davonte Burnett placed fifth in the University competition with a time of 3:06.18.
- USC's men's 4x100m relay team of Gavin Schurr, Brendon Stewart, Eric Allen Jr. and Blockburger placed sixth with a time of 39.55.
- The Trojan women's 4x100m relay team of Barnes, Moody, Chioma Okonkwo and Jan'Taijah Ford also placed sixth with a time of 44.00.
The Trojans' track and field team will next be competing at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif. on April 1-2 and at the CSUN Invitational on April 1-2.