Men's Tennis Outlasted by No. 13 Stanford
LOS ANGELES – The No. 59 UCLA men's tennis team was overcome late by No. 13 Stanford, which registered a 4-2 win in Pac-12 play Saturday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Alexander Hoogmartens continued to shine for the Bruins (5-8, 1-1 Pac-12). He won on the singles and doubles courts, including a straight-set triumph over the nation's No. 2 player, Arthur Fery. That made it 2-0 in favor of UCLA, which started the day by winning the doubles point convincingly. The Cardinal (12-3, 2-1) bounced back, however, getting wins from Axel Geller, Alexandre Rotsaert, Timothy Sah and Max Basing, who clinched the victory.
The Bruins jumped out to advantages across the doubles courts and ultimately moved quickly to seize the first point. The pair of Hoogmartens and Bryce Pereira struck first, handing Sah and Tomas Kopczynski a 6-3 loss on the middle court. Then, with Giacomo Revelli and Patrick Zahraj of UCLA serving for match point on the top court, teammates Karl Lee and Stefan Leustian broke the serve of Basing and Rotsaert on Court 3 for a 6-2 win and a 1-0 lead.
No. 38 Hoogmartens won his sixth singles decision in a row and third straight against a nationally-ranked opponent when he made his straight-set statement versus Fery on the top court. Hoogmartens is now 12-4, 7-2 in dual-match play and 5-1 when taking on nationally-ranked foes. He is also now 2-0 on Court 1.
Geller fended off a second-set push by Zahraj to earn a 6-1, 7-5 victory on Court 2 that cut Stanford's deficit in half. Next to finish was Sah on Court 6, where he seized a tiebreaker win and rode that to a 7-6(5), 6-2 result against Leustian. The Cardinal then completed its turnaround on Court 4, as Rotsaert outlasted Karl Lee for a 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 showing.
The deciding point was posted by No. 58 Basing, who rallied to defeat Revelli by a 2-6, 7-5, 6-3 margin on Court 3.
The Bruins will return to action Tuesday, when they host San Diego State. The non-conference match, which was added recently, is slated to begin at 2 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
Stanford vs UCLA
5/26/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#13 Stanford 4, #59 UCLA 2
1. #38 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. #2 Arthur Fery (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
2. Axel Geller (STAN) def. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-1, 7-5
3. #58 Max Basing (STAN) def. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
5. Eric Hahn (UCLA) vs. Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) 6-7 (7-4), 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
6. Timothy Sah (STAN) def. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
1. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) vs. #48 Arthur Fery/Axel Geller (STAN) 5-2, unfinished
2. A. Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Tomas Kopczynski/Timothy Sah (STAN) 6-3
3. Karl Lee/Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Max Basing/Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) 6-2
Stanford 12-3; National ranking #13
UCLA 5-8; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,6,4,3)