No. 1 UCLA Posts Two Wins on Saturday
TUCSON, Ariz. -- No. 1 UCLA (17-0) remained undefeated on the year with a 5-0 sweep of Utah (4-7) and a 4-1 win over No. 8 Stanford (9-5) in the first day of competition at the Pac-12 South Invitational at Bear Down Beach. UCLA improved to 2-0 all-time against the Utes and 15-0 versus the Cardinal.
In the morning dual against Utah, Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle got the Bruins on the board first with a straight-set win over Grace Andrews and Bella Vezzani on court one, 21-8, 21-12.
The Bruins' freshman duo of Natalie Myszkowski and Sophie Moore remained undefeated as they moved up to court three to defeat Marissa Koch and Samantha Leight, 21-13, 21-17.
Senior Lea Monkhouse and sophomore Rileigh Powers clinched the dual victory on court two with a straight-set win over Sage Patchell and Amaya Messier, 21-13, 21-10.
Then Jaden Whitmarsh and graduate transfer Marlie Monserez paired together for the first time to defeat Sommer Daniel and Lauren Sayre on court four, 25-23, 21-15, to put UCLA up 4-0.
UCLA completed the sweep on court five where Tessa Van Winkle and Pani Napoleon rallied to beat Utah's Kylie Pitzak and Sydney Jacinto in a three-set thriller, 19-21, 21-15, 15-8.
In the afternoon dual against Stanford, Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle were again the first to finish, beating Xolani Hodel and Kate Reilly in straight sets, 21-19, 21-14.
But Charlie Ekstrom and Maddi Kriz would tie the dual up at one just a few minutes later when they defeated UCLA's Lea Monkhouse and Rileigh Powers in two tight sets, 24-22, 26-24.
The Bruins dropped the first set on all three remaining courts, needing to rally to stave off the Cardinal's upset bid.
The first to finish was court five's Monserez and freshman Jessie Smith, who rallied to beat Stanford's Maddie Dailey and Jordan McKinney, 18-21, 21-17, 16-14, to put UCLA up 2-1.
The dual was decided on court three where Whitmarsh and Devon Newberry pulled off a similar comeback, defeating Maya Harvey and Emma Sharp, 16-21, 21-18, 17-15.
UCLA's undefeated pair of Myszkowski and Moore had to rally to beat the Cardinal's Emma Morris and Taylor Wilson, 18-21, 21-19, 15-12, to provide the 4-1 final.
The Bruins return to action tomorrow when they conclude the weekend against No. 17 Arizona at 12:30 p.m. PT on the Pac-12 Networks.
No. 1 UCLA def. Utah, 5-0
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Saturday, Mar. 26, 2022 • 9:00 AM PT
Records: UCLA (16-0), Utah (4-7)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Grace Andrews/Bella Vezzani (Utah) 21-8, 21-12
2. Lea Monkhouse/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier (Utah) 21-13, 21-10
3. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Marissa Koch/Samantha Leight (Utah) 21-13, 21-17
4. Jaden Whitmarsh/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) def. Sommer Daniel/Lauren Sayre (Utah) 25-23, 21-15
5. Pani Napoleon/Tessa Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Kylie Pitzak/Sydney Jacinto (Utah) 19-21, 21-15, 15-8
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*, 4, 5
No. 1 UCLA def. No. 8 Stanford, 4-1
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Saturday, Mar. 26, 2022 • 3:15 PM PT
Records: UCLA (17-0), Stanford (9-5)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Xolani Hodel/Kate Reilly (Stanford) 21-19, 21-14
2. Charlie Ekstrom/Maddi Kriz (Stanford) def. Lea Monkhouse/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) 24-22, 26-24
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Maya Harvey/Emma Sharp (Stanford) 16-21, 21-18, 17-15
4. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Emma Morris/Taylor Wilson (Stanford) 18-21, 21-19, 15-12
5. Jessie Smith/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) def. Maddie Dailey/Jordan McKinney (Stanford) 18-21, 21-17, 16-14
Order of finish: 1, 2, 5, 3*, 4