Huskies Pull Off 3-2 Upset Over No. 11 Cal
TUCSON, Ariz. – Husky Beach Volleyball picked up its biggest win of the season thus far and its first win over a ranked opponent since 2018 with a 3-2 victory over 11th-ranked California at Arizona's Bear Down Beach. Washington finished its stay at the Pac-12 South Invitational with the thrilling win over the Bears and then a loss to third-ranked USC.
The Huskies (4-8) had lost their past seven meetings with the Bears, but snapped that streak and got their fifth win all-time over Cal and the first since 2018. The last Husky win over an AVCA top-20 squad was Apr. 27, 2018 against 13th-ranked Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament.
UW trailed 0-2 against Cal but Chloe Loreen and Natalie Robinson finished off a 21-16, 21-19 win at the No. 1 spot over Radell/Costa to trim the deficit. Then Emma Calle and Hannah Yerex came up with a clutch 21-14, 25-23 win on court four over Martin/Gessner to even up the match.
That put all the eyes on court two, where Scarlett Dahl and Kyra Petersen were midway through a third set against Mann/Sears. Dahl and Petersen trailed 7-11 in the third, but stormed back to 12-13, and then won the final three points in a row to clinch it, 11-21, 21-19, 15-13.
Washington had to try and come off the high of that win and take on 3rd-ranked and defending national champion USC a couple hours later. The Dawgs fought hard and made a few inroads but couldn't earn any sets against the Trojans.
Loreen and Robinson had a 21-14, 21-14 loss at the No. 1 spot to USC's Kraft and Harward, which was the first loss of the weekend for Loreen and Robinson.
Washington will be headed to Boise, Idaho next week for four matches on Apr. 1-2, two against Boise State and one each against Colorado Mesa and Oregon.
Washington Beach Volleyball
Pac-12 South Invitational
March 27, 2022
Tucson, Ariz. | Bear Down Beach
Washington – 3
No. 11 California – 2
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Radell/Costa (Cal) – 21-16, 21-19
2. Dahl/Petersen (UW) def. Mann/Sears (Cal) – 11-21, 21-19, 15-13
3. Buchner/Delgado (Cal) def. Wilmes/Griffin (UW) – 21-16, 22-20
4. Calle/Yerex (UW) def. Martin/Gessner (Cal) – 21-14, 25-23
5. Dreibholz/Bierly (Cal) def. Shook/Mikkelsen (UW) – 21-12, 21-12
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 4, 2
Washington – 0
No. 3 USC – 5
1. Kraft/Harward (USC) def. Loreen/Robinson (UW) – 21-14, 21-14
2. Scoles/Maple (USC) def. Dahl/Petersen (UW) – 21-12, 21-11
3. Schafer/Slater (USC) def. Wilmes/Griffin (UW) – 21-9, 21-17
4. Villapando/Ebertin (USC) def. Calle/Yerex (UW) – 21-15, 21-13
5. Nourse/Nourse (USC) def. Shook/Mikkelsen (UW) – 21-12, 21-7
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 3, 4